• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Hey, Spud Boy...whats with the yellow micro type? Been out writing in the snow again?

That's the nice part of using someones handed down tools that you cared about or respected...when you use them, they're not just tools, but also memories......sort of like they're there looking over your shoulder. Makes you work just that little bit more exacting with them.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

This afternoon while walking through my workspace en route to the office, I was overcome by nothing short of Henry VIII syphalytic madness......I just couldn't stand that Bmann radiator grille any longer.

Without thinking, I took the bonnet assembly and ground down the face on the disk sander.

While not a perfect solution, I feel it's better than what used to be there!  The grille was sanded down to .010" thick..to resemble a steel plate add-on.....and will likely be drilled with round holes in the area that the Deutz would have its radiator grille. I will add some bolt heads or rivets on the tabs,  redo the detailing at the crank hole opening. and add a hook to hold the L&P chain. I did not want to try and take the surface all the way down, as it would have created other issues that would need to be dealt with.....and I was not in the mood to undertake.

MR

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

you are a brave SOB or just mad? wow it came out nice, can't wait to see it finished.
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

You know what they (Molly Hatchet) say...."No guts, no glory!"  ;) ;D ;D

Now if I could just figure out what kind of seat to do in the cab. I really am not in the mood to sculpt and form a tractor seat :-X :-\

MR

M-Works

Krusty

Good move. Bachpersonn has munted what should be a separate radiator and shield into a a single strange-looking item. If you've got an X-Y table it'll be easy enough to drill equally-spaced holes to represent a typical Deutz et al radiator screen.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Marc988

:o  "guts" or "nuts"  ?  ;) ;D

How about a rusted mesh screen welded in a small frame as a replacement for origninal screen which was lost somewhere along the way ?

As for the seat, some german small selfpropelled artillery pieces have a tractor-like seat which is replaced by a lot of military model builders by an etched version (from a complete etch-set) maybe someone has one for you. Another option might be a motorcycle seat. I have seen a small diesel somewhere using a chopper-like seat.

Marc B

lab-dad

I'm glad you saw the light and hacked down that nasty grill!

BTW I have some Precision scale tractor seats that are too big for 1:48, want one?
I can get dimensions later if you are interested.

-Marty

Franck Tavernier

Marc,

You want a seat like this  ;D ;D ;D ;D :

;)

For the seat, you can use the photo etched kit from Part #35050 for theTamiya Marder III. It's this seat I'll use for my new gas loco :

Franck

shropshire lad

Franck ,

That sounds like an expensive seat . What do you do with the rest of the kit once you've taken the seats out ?

If it was mine I would have a wooden bench like your Gmeinder . With a cushion for the poor driver's backside .

Nick

Ray Dunakin

Yow!  That seat looks like it would be really uncomfortable with that big rivet in the center.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

RoughboyModelworks

Yow is right... all sorts of crude and painful images spring immediately to mind. Without that bolt or rivet head though (you think they could have at least used a pan head  ;)), it's a good looking seat for the job.

Paul

RoughboyModelworks

For some reason I'm reminded of that bad old joke about the "Perfect Couple" (expect I'll get sent back to the corner for this  ;))

"He was a proctologist and she was a pain-in-the-ass!"

Paul

finescalerr

You guessed right, Paul. Go stand in the corner! --  Russ

marc_reusser

Franck,
Great find, was not aware of these in that set, thanks!,...I will definitely have to buy this set.....though I think they are probably too small though for this model...if they are I will keep them for a future 1/35 model.

Nick,
I was trying not to do another box/plank set...though it is definitely rattling around in my head....because I built one in the last gas mech (the 1/35 one), and I was trying to be different on this  :-\

Marty,
thanks for the offer, I have two of those seats from PSC...they are unfortunately a bit too small for 1/32.

....MAYBE..and just maybe...I am willing to try this....sclae  the image that Frank found to the right dimensions, and then use it as a template to make a set out of Milliput... ::) :-\....kind of a PIA...but definitely a "learning experience"....could probably try doing the same using brass sheet (shudder).

Marc

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

Wait,..............who takes the picture,.......? Those are your two hands,.......?  
Aren't they ????????

If there are people standing in the corner? I'll give them company; here are my two best proctologist lines:
"You ask to borrow one of my tools? But would you ask if I were a Proctologist?
I saw this on a business card, from a small town doctor
"Your diarrhea, is my bread and butter"

I'll be in the corner
Gil
Not seeing a proctologist any time soon
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho