• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

I was looking through some photos on my hard-disk last night, when I got a the wild idea of seeing if I could convert a Bachmann Davenport into a "plausible" Deutz inspired loco in 1/32 or 1/35 scale.

The first problem to overcome, or mitigate, was the very easily identifiable Bachmann frame.....I just hate seeing so many of these conversions on-line, and you can always immediately tell that it is a Bachmann frame. Of course because I plan to use the weights and rods, as well as the bonnet, I will only be able to mitigate this to a certain point.....but it's worth the try.

First thing to do was to disassemble the loco, and clamp it into the vise on the milling machine....all the work was done with the frame in the vise....except for this Rube Goldberg set-up to mill the rear end.

The main changes were reducing the deck thickness to .030 (which was was done by milling from both the top and the bottom, and narrowing the overall width of the frame to more closely resemble the approx 45" width of a Deutz OMZ.

The housing that encloses the worm-gear in th Bmann loco is longer on the top than on the inside, so I was able to shorten this to just inside the cast on band. I also milled a bolt flange at the bottom where it meets the deck. (yes...as you can see I did have some "chatter" on the bit  :-X)

This rear view shows where the worm-gear housing was milled shorter, and the end-sill was milled thinner by .030" (leaving a .010 bump below the coupler box opening because of the existing screw hole)

This shows the amount of material removed on the underside. I milled back just far enough to retain a small strip of the lip that holds the side-frames in place.

...other than clean-up, that's pretty much the extent of the initial changes to the frame. The rest will be done with styrene.

I also started some work on the bonnet, but those pictures wil have to wait till I am a bit further along.

Below are two quick examples of the type of Deutz locos that inspired me to try this.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Neat! Are you going to modifiy the side rods? The model ones look a bit tinny to me. Your first proto photo shows them thicker.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

I don't  think so, though I agree with your comment/observation...but unfortunately I am no Marty Jones at the mill.....and I sort of wanted to do this as an example of a simple conversion anyone can do.

Marc

M-Works

finescalerr

jacq01

Quoteand I sort of wanted to do this as an example of a simple conversion anyone can do.

and I have to believe that................. :( :( :(
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

let me get this straight;
1) Marc is building a loco that "may" actually run?
2) "Anyone" can mill the frame down to the specs listed?
3) anyone could scratch a cab for this loco?

I must have had way too much Kahlua & xanex tonight........

Marc, if I can be of assistance on the side rods please let me know.
May be just thickening up whats there will make it look better?

-Mj

marc_reusser

Yes Marty,

1). I for all too long have suffered the snickering. and the slings and arrows of your and they guys jokes about my non running engines. I figured it was time to fight back, and give power to the the project. ;) ;D  It will even have/retain the working headlight!

2.) If I was able to do it, I am pretty sure most anyone can. I had no plan, drawings or ideas......I just clamped that baby in the vise, and looking at the Deutz photos began cutting away at it.  The whole deal took about 4 hours (mainly because of the limit on how much metal you can cut per pass....which was definitely new and strange to me, as I am a styrene & plexi guy.

3.) Sheesh...that will be one of the easiest parts a blind monkey could build it  ::).....but just to make it harder and throw a wrench into the works, I may give Ken's heat-gun forming approach a try.

...and yes, (if I can keep from vomiting as I say it)....it will still be able to have Kadee couplers on the rear.

...oooh Xanex...I may need some when I get around to the cab interior details. ;D

Thanks for the offer on the rods.....I guess I will have a look at them. I have no idea how to get them, off though.

The biggest problem/issue is the proportions of the frame (and thus the eventual loco)...the OMZ Deutzs were about 5' longer, than the Bman frame is at 1/32, and I can't build the smaller Deutz (the dark green one referenced above), because if I narrow the deck any further I will begin exposing the side rods and weights. The other issue is the size of room required for the useless motor and something called DCC....thus the bonnet interior space pretty much needs to be retained in one form or another. So there will be a lot of compromise in the end.  ...but then as I said,  I did not set out to build an exact model...just something "plausible" and simple.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Ahhh.... while doing a quick sketch of the side for proportions, I just found out how the side rods come off. ....now if I can figure out how to get the weights off, and shorten their mounting posts, as well as probably shorten the axels, I could reduce the frame width some more. (Hmmmmmm..... ::))

Anyhow...here is the quick side proportion drawing....and a comparson drawing between my reproportioned loco, and a real Deutz OMZ (which is the rust colored larger loco, in the referenced images above)....unfortunately I do not have an drawing of the smaller green loco to compare mine to.

M-Works

lab-dad

Marc, what mill is that? and what collett is that?
-Mj

jacq01

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

ossynths

Hey Marc,

Just some photos of what I did with the Davenport chassis.
Hope I have succes with attaching them. Otto.

finescalerr

That is one of the nicest conversions of the Bachmann Davenport I have seen. -- Russ

Franck Tavernier

@ Otto,

So glad to see you posting here!

Nice model as usual! What did you used for the motor gearhead, a 2020A? And how did you hold it on the frame? I made there are a few years ago a new frame for a project in 1:35, but never finished!

@ Marc, nice project! About the deck overall width, the Deutz OMZ 117 deck was 1155mm width, approx. 45". So, in 1:32 scale, you can milled the Bachmann deck to 36mm width, without exposing side rods and weights!  ;) You can too shortened the wheelset axles if you have a lathe, and push a little bit the weights on them...

If you want drawings, I can scan them tomorrow  ;)

Franck

marc_reusser

Marty:
The mill is the one from Micro-Mark. Forgot what the collet/head number designation is...but I believe its pretty much a standard size like those on larger mills, with of course collet inserts for all the different mill bit increments (8 or 9 collet ranging 1/8"-5/8" bits/shafts) The bit shown in the image is a 1/8".
The 2 layers of plexi, is the "level milling bed" trick that Mike Musal told us about on TNGS.

Jacq:
Thanks for the links much appreciated...especially the second one with the PDF file.

Otto:
Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for posting your conversion. Neat loco, and very interesting to see how you went about it. Whos is the bonnet (engine enclosure) part from?  Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Franck:
As always, thanks for the input and photos. Very interesting conversion project you have going there...is this for a new project, or was it for one of the ones you already built?
Hmmm...shortening the axles....sounds tempting...and I have a lathe (but don't know how to use it well  :-X :-\.......plus that might be getting further into this than I hoped.....I was trying to do this sort of quick-and-dirty.  ;D

Marc

M-Works

Franck Tavernier

Marc,

Yes it was for a new project in 1:35 scale, but never finished, because of the lack of time and because I wasn't satisfied with the original look of this model! To my opinion this model is short legged  ;D ;D ::) ::) :P

So for a model in 1:35 / 1:32, the frame should be higher compared to the rail...In fact the wheels dia. is too small! Wheels of 11.4mm dia. Approx. would be much better...

I haven't done this modification, but it's possible, there is sufficient room between the wheels and the frame...

Franck