• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

FWIW, here are some of the images I am using for reference and ideas on final weathering direction. (unfortunately I can't recall where on the web I pulled these from)

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 29, 2010, 02:42:03 AM
FWIW, here are some of the images I am using for reference and ideas on final weathering direction. (unfortunately I can't recall where on the web I pulled these from)

[Marc

Well with the fall from the bike its lucky you can remember anything ;D

Nice reference pictures.  Looking forward to the final touchups (as Chuck would say) on the Engine.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Malachi Constant

Hmmm ... guess we can see where this is heading ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Great pics of some very nifty little critters! Most of them are so dirty and grimy it's hard to tell where the chipping ends and the filth begins, so if you're going for that look, you're safe.  :)   

I really like the ones that are oozing oil and grease.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Your critter looks more real.

(Did I really write that? Send me to the corner!)

Russ

narrowgauger

Hi Marc

yes, the model has improved considerably with the subtle changes.

However an important point to note in all the photographs, which rather substantiates my basic argument, is that there is very little evidence of "paint chipping", with most of the deterioration being paint wear and the effect on colours & paint layers from soiling.  This suggests that the optimum way of representing the dirt, filth and ageing is through the manipulation of colour.  In this context compare the "ageing" on Nick's blue Deutz with the photographs.

the same comments are also made in regard to armour modelling where "chipping" has become madatory, but is not supported by the photgraphic evidence.

I find that the paintwork deterioration can be achieved through the manipulation of several paint layers usng MEK.

Irrespective of my observations your erzats "Duetz" is still a wonderful example of what a Bachmann stock model can become in the hands of an expert model builder.

Have fun & stay cool.  above all, stay on the bike

Bernard

Philip Smith

I was trippin about that faded red paint. That kind of clean, slight shine, yet worn surface mimicks diesel fuel. Way back when, we would sponge military artillery equipment down with straight diesel fuel prior to inspections, parades and such. When I first saw it...... OMG he's sponged it down with diesel! Nice job on this model Marc! Your a master at the art of making your subjects look real! Now...Gimme a pinch ;D

Philip

shropshire lad

Marc ,

I can't help you with where abouts on the interweb you pulled these photos , even though I have saved them for myself previously , but I can tell you the location of some of them .

The first picture is at Ziegelwerk Erfurt , Ferna in Thuringia . This is the location for the inspiration for my 1/35th brick sheds diorama . You can just make out the blue doors of the right hand shed behind the bushes in the left of the photo . This photo has been taken from an angle that is new to me , so particular thanks for posting this one .

Pictures 2,3 and 4 are of Baustoffwerke Muhlhausen , Betonwerk Treffurt . These are particulary grubby locos and good examples of how it is not going to be possible to overweather your loco .

I know about these locations because there are additional photos of them in Andreas Christopher's Die Feldbahn Band 9 . The book is devoted to feldbahns in the former East Germany .

Can't help you with the others , apart from looking at www.Feldbahn-Schlanstedt.de for more of the Deutz OMZ117 and maybe Frank Engel's site for the last picture of the LKM Ns2f .

Picture 6 is a classic . I don't know why we all agonise over the correct sort of sleeper to use under out track . All you need is a load of old pallets just slung under whatever part of the track is sagging the most . If anyone was brave enough to model that scene they would be laughed at for building something that wouldn't happen in real life . Mmmm, that has just given me an idea for the subject of a competition on another forum . Thanks .

Nick

marc_reusser

Nick,

Thanks for all the info, Much appreciated. I knew the one was the operation you based your shed on, I have 5 or 6 images of this operation....didn't want to post them and take away with your thread/work....I can dig them out of my BU-HD if you want....in the meantime here is one more that I had on my PC that shows the shed (also has another great example of trackwork  ;D).

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Great photos and that last one is perfect diorama fodder (as Nick knows). It would be worth doing something like this just to make tracks like those.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 30, 2010, 01:03:13 AM
Nick,

Thanks for all the info, Much appreciated. I knew the one was the operation you based your shed on, I have 5 or 6 images of this operation....didn't want to post them and take away with your thread/work....I can dig them out of my BU-HD if you want....in the meantime here is one more that I had on my PC that shows the shed (also has another great example of trackwork  ;D).

Marc ,

Thanks for the extra photo , shame it is not that clear . I would more than welcome any additional photos you have , either here or over on my own thread . This is one subject you can't have too many photos .

What this photo does show is that I haven't made the brickwork on the shed with the chimney decrepid enough . Oh well , I'll just have to make the next building more run down .

Thanks again ,

Nick

marc_reusser

Nick,

here are two more pics of the operation.

M-Works

marc_reusser

I think these are of it as well.

M-Works

marc_reusser

These could be...but am not sure.

M-Works