• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Yea where'd the lever set come from?
Very nice!!!!!
And this one actually runs!?
-Marty

shropshire lad

Marc ,

Looking good so far , I look forward to seeing what you come up for the paint scheme . I have a number of photos of these sorts of locos with your proposed paint scheme and they do look good , especially with all the chips and scratches they accumulate.
Will you be putting the back on before painting ?

No "e" in Snoodyk .

Nick

RoughboyModelworks

Marc: Looks very good. Paint scheme sounds positively festive... ;) really looking forward to your updates on your painting process.

Marc988: Talk about late replies, I didn't see your post until just now. Thanks for the translation offer. I've been using Google Translate for the occasions when I really need to know what's contained in the text. It's not 100% accurate but seems to be close enough. Thanks tho for the offer.

The Feldbahn books btw are available in the US now from Decker's Trains. I believe Mike has numbers 1-16 in stock plus some CDs and videos.

Paul

narrowgauger

Hi Marc

the "Deutz" is looking great.  also good to see the seat put to good use.  FYI it is not photo etched, but press formed on a home made punch & die with the holes punched individually.

comment about the gearshift mechanism on the Deutz; dont forget to add the reverse selector, which can either be a seperate lever on the side of the gearbox running back to the selector mechanism that is situated at the rear of the "gearbox" or a direct acting lever under the seat.  the lever into the top of the box only selects the gear ratios not forward/reverse.

contact me direct and I will send you some sketches.

have fun & stay cool

Bernard

narrowgauger

Hi Marc

gearbox detail attached.  will send 2 more to illustrate the way the reverse / forward selector is fitted

Bernard

shropshire lad

Quote from: Roughboy on February 28, 2010, 09:05:56 AM

The Feldbahn books btw are available in the US now from Decker's Trains. I believe Mike has numbers 1-16 in stock plus some CDs and videos.

Paul

Paul ,

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing . To my knowledge the series of books by Andreas Christopher called Die Feldbahn has only reached voume 10 and the first three volumes are quite difficult to get hold of , so maybe you are thinking of something else .

Nick

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.   Sorry for the delayed response, but after once again a particularly painful flight over the bars, I had to wait to somewhat come out of my drug addled state before trying to type.

Gordon:

The brake release handle was made using basically using a sim approach to what Marty did on his large scale Gas Mech.
The handles is .015"x.080" strip styren, that was slightly tapered (about .015) on the drivers seat side, from about 2/3 of the way up. Then the handle area was notched from the front. The release lever was made by bending a piece of .001" sheet brass over the edge (which had ben radiused) of a piece of .015 Styrene sheet (so that the brass was equal on both sides).  I then used a single edged razor blade and a delrin tipped hammer to punch-cut thr basic rough shape on both sides. Then I removed the rough piece from the styrene, and while holding it a pair of tweezers, did the final shaping and edge clean-up with some cut-down sanding sticks. Lastly the curvature of the release handle was made bu cutting the desired arc in a piece if .015 styrene using one of my radius guides.....sliding the brass piece over the styrene...and then pressing the 'positive' shape of the raduius guide into the cut area where the brass piece was and thus press forming the handle to the curve.

The rod piece is simply .012 (if I recall) breass wire, into which I bent a small eyelet at each end, so that the ACC would have something to really grip it and hold it in place.

The ratchet rack (IE the teethed interior pieces) were from my scrap box....they were from a Grandt On3 porter kit....and are unfortunately delrin.....so need some drilling and fitting to make them stay in place. The sides of the ratchet area is just scratched from styrene.

Marty:

Though it could run....I have the motor and DCC thing....and the hood is made to be removeble for access...I probaly will not install it in the end. Knowing I can and that it would run, is good enough for me.

Paul:

I actually have a particular loco in mind that has the colors and wear I am thinking of......I will pull the pics off my HD and post them. It's a pretty common ssheme.

Bernard:

Thanks for the correction...I thought it was PE and then formed. It's a great seat thank you.  Figures youo would catch the lack of a reverse lever ::) ;)....I was trying to sneak by without it...or a most maybe just a projecting shaft that a handle or wrench fits onto like in some locos....was worried about the space as it is already cramped...and I was basically just being lazy ;D......but now that you have called me on it, and so kinly offered the info, I guess I have no way around it :-X ;D I will send you my email address.

Nick

I don't plan on assembling it before painting, because the upper works are all one color, and the frame another, so painting the sub assemblies seperately is much easier and requires far less masking and trying to get into tight spaces. I am also planning on using a different chipping method for the upper works than the frame.....the upper works will likely be painted on chips, while the frame will be done with the hairspray technique...so keeping these unassembled will make this process easier. I will then do filters, fading and rain streaking before assembly...and maybe some rust....than assemble and do the remaining rust, and the dirt dust and grime.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Geoff Ringle

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 01, 2010, 03:00:55 AM
Thanks guys.   Sorry for the delayed response, but after once again a particularly painful flight over the bars, I had to wait to somewhat come out of my drug addled state before trying to type.

Mark,

Ouch, mountain bike crash? I know your pain all too well.

By the way, very nice modeling.   Geoff

lab-dad

May be you need to take up a safer hobby like para sailing or MMA?

finescalerr

Buy an exercycle and a good mountain scenery DVD. Otherwise you're going to land on your hands someday and crunch your modeling career. I'm far less worried about your head. The little Deutz will be another gem if you live long enough to finish it. -- Russ

narrowgauger

Hey Marc

don't let this bunch talk you away from cycling.  it is and will remain one of the best sports that one can partake in.

I am post 60, have been road racing since I was 9 and race every weekend with the vet's.  training around 300Km's per week.  too many falls to have kept a record, but only total senility will keep me off the bike.

rather counters sitting at an office desk all day and the model building bench in the evenings.

Keep them wheels turning.

Bernard

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: shropshire lad on March 01, 2010, 01:07:00 AM
Quote from: Roughboy on February 28, 2010, 09:05:56 AM

Paul

Paul ,

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing . To my knowledge the series of books by Andreas Christopher called Die Feldbahn has only reached voume 10 and the first three volumes are quite difficult to get hold of , so maybe you are thinking of something else .

Nick

Probably a different series Nick. Mike says the ones he sells are from Karl Paskarb. He has a brief detailed list on his site of the volumes he has available.

Paul

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 01, 2010, 03:00:55 AM
OUCH... high-siding is not an approved dismount method Marc. Glad to know injuries weren't too serious. As young as you are, recovery should be a lot quicker than it is for us older guys. I was fortunate enough to never crash when I was racing, but had a few spectacular dismounts when training. Real scars come tho when you have to lay down a motorcycle. Those damn cats eyes in the center line will really do a number on ya...

So, when you crash a road bike you get road rash. When you crash a mountain bike do you get bush rash?

Paul

finescalerr

Paul, go back to the corner and stand there for a month.

Racing bicycles are man's most elegant mechanical invention.

Russ

Chuck Doan

Two words: Roll cage.

Wrap some of that aero saran wrap crap around it and start a whole new trend.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/