• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Marc

Just following along.  Trying to learn something.  I think it looks good.  Glad to see your putting your ass out on the line for this one.
Personally I think it will come out just like you planned it.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks Bernard,

Until I can get hold of Tamiya thinners, in reasonable quantities i.e 250 ml rather than 10 ml which I can buy but works about £35/litre, I will use Iso-Propyl Alcohol (IPA) £3.50/litre
which I normally only use for cleaning airbrush after painting - it seems to work just as well but not sure about how it effects adherence of paint on to surface.
Gordon

marc_reusser

Okay...spent some time today doing touch-up:

Repainted the front grille (this was airbrushed with the previous mix of green, with some more yellow added, so as to add some panel color differentiation), and then added a few small chips with Vallejo, "German Camo Black brown".

Most all the chipping on the side panels around the handles, and at the side surface/edges was removed, by brush painting  with a random mix of Vallejo acrylics. ...I also painted-out some of the chips on the front secion of cab wall, and the access panel on the top of the bonnet.

I then went in with a mix of Abt.-502 artists oils to do surface and pin washes, as well as much of the first go around of grease and oil staining (front and rear frame sections still need their first applic. of oils stains).

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Hey there, hi there, ho there!  Looks like you've very neatly rescued that from yourself.  I miss the little seahorsey on the one side, but have to say the reworked areas, the color variations (or modulations or whatever the __ you call them) look great ... in fact, I kinda want to see a little more variation in the reds now, but that might just be a temporary thing.  Lookin' damn fine.  Now you need to assemble and paint a driver, eh?

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

RoughboyModelworks

Nicely done Marc... excellent save from the chipping adventure.

Paul

shropshire lad

That's looking better , Young Marc . If you listen to us all the time you know you won't go wrong . Anything else you want help with just give us a shout ,

Nick

lucas gargoloff

A nice model from a great modeller!!! Thanks for share Marc!!! AWESOME!!! The spray technique is very well explained here.
Lucas Gargoloff - Argentina

finescalerr

I'm just going to gloat a little and say, "I told you so". -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Great work, looks much better now. I especially like the oil/grease stains.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

danpickard

Yeah...much better, the chiped area's have lost the randomness they had previously, and the worn areas now make sense as to why contact would have been made there in the first place.  I too like the grime staining around the engine panel handles... it looks a lot mor "MR" now, good save!

Now if only Bachmann made one of these...

Cheers,
Dan

eTraxx

Here's another example of someone weathering too much ...

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Gordon Ferguson

OK admit it Marc, you set me up ;)

As others have noted a great save - in fact I think the recovery process has probable made it even better, paint work now looks like its been kept reasonably clean using the "oily rag" technique - really do like the tonal variations across the green - although if I may be so bold I would still be tempted to reduced the amount of chipping around the side engine panels think the panel with front to left is great its the other one I think could worked on. The oil/grease washes on the chassis have worked a treat. Be interesting where you take this next.

As the man says "satisfactory" 
Gordon

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.

The grease grime areas were done with Abt 502 oils..."Dark Wash", "Black" and "Oil & Grease".  Some of the reference photos of these locos show them as being absolute grease and oil messes...and often they were wiped down with oily rags, which contributed to the look....so this was to be my "base grease stain" layer...the kind that gets rubbed and worn into the paint finish, or slowly bleeds and spreads into/over the paint.  I pondered how to go about it (and not sure if I succeeded, as I have lost all ojectivity)....but, what I did is uses several sizes of slightly cut down round brushes, dabbed them randomly into a mix of the colors (no thinner involved).....dabbed some off on the tray (how much one wants to remain on the brush is personal pref./practice)....then stippled/dabbed it onto the surface of the paint...where necessary I took a clean brush to work and blend (also by stippling)the paints more.  In darker areas the dabbed application was just repeated, or more black than brown was used.  Hopefully this will give me a good base for the later heavier grease and grime that has coagulated dirt and grit in it, as well as for drips.

I am still pondering the next step but I think it will be to seal the whole thing with a layer of clear (which really goes against my painting philosophy/approach).....then adding some very light rust streaks,  then coming in with a layer of HS, over which I can spray a dust color or two and do some other dust application with pigments and fixer...all of which I can the hopefully chip and streak away as needed due to the HS. This will then be followed by heavier dirt/mud, and the second go around of oil staining.

Gordon:
If you are going to make "helpful suggestions" please do so before I move on to the next step  ;) ;D ;D ;D. ....now that you've mentioned it I do see the issue.....but it may not be possible to go in and touch it up, much due to the oil staining step already completed.....I may be able to soften/hide the issue more in the dust and dirt phase.

A big part of the problem is that I am getting tired and impatient with this project, and I just want to get it done....I have a few more that are really grating on me as well that I need to get out of the way, so that I can get back on and focus on the improvised armored railcar that I really would like to be working on...plus I have the ##$@#@! MIG challenge that I want to build something for as well....not to mention finishing the caboose for Russ's thing...and I don't even know the due date for that!

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Marc, just let me know if I can be of any more assistance  ;D  ;D ;) happy to help in any way
Gordon