• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Thanks Ray.

I feel the rusting with the oils and pigments is a too spotty/splotchy and undefined/un-thought-out...I blame the tequila.....though I do have to admit I fought myself on streaking....if I streaked it in the direction it would have when it was being used as an ad...they would run horizontal in the final application...and would look odd...despite being correct....so I streaked lightly on the vertical in some areas.

Marc

[EDIT:    I just realised I posted the experiment in the wrong thread..it belongs in the "5x5x7" thread....oh well....once again I blame the Tequila.]
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

marc_reusser

Had some time to work on initial steps for the painting of the frame.

First coat was a mix of Tamiya, Flat Red, and Flat Blue,....lightened about 20% with Flat White. (into this mix I added some "Clear" as well to give it a slightly satin finish). A second fading coat was applied with same mix, but an other 10 white added, and applied to broader surfaces and edges...leaving inside corners the first coat color.

After about 15 mins, a very thinned random/varying mix of Vallejo #944 "Old Rose" and #820 "Off White" was randomly sponged on with a fine sponge, and slightly "worked" on the surface with a damp sponge of distilled water.

Next the frame was chipped (hairspray method). In some areas you can see I wore through the colors down to the primer or bare metal frame....this will be touched-up prior to proceeding, using Vallejo colors.

MR

M-Works

shropshire lad

Looking good , Marc . I just love the faded red/pink paintwork , which is the sort of effect I tried to achieve on my locos . What I am slightly confused about is at what point you applied the hairspray . I would have guessed before you applied any red paint but as you didn't say in your post I am not sure . Can you expand your methodology slightly for us slower witted participants ! Ta , very much ,

Nick

finescalerr

... And us geniuses, too. By the way, you've done a more than adequate job so far. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.

Nick:
You are correct sir, the HS was applied over the brown-black base color, before any of the red coats.  Sorry I wasn't clear...have just gotten a bit lazy on getting into the HS method/application.

The faded pink was a real must for me, as it is prevalent in so many photos of small locos, and I had been scratching my head how to get the look of it I was after. The sponging on of the thin/translucent layers of pink/white was purely a sudden idea, that luckily seemed to work. The chips will not be so contrasty on the finished model, as there is still a lot of weathering (rainmarks, washes, dust, grime and dirt) that will work to blend everything together.

Marc

M-Works

james_coldicott

Hi Marc,

really pleased to see this one back off the shelf and as ever very intrigued to see where you go with it. Always very inspiring- as hopefully evidenced by the attached. No where near as accomplished as your work and no doubt you will be able to highlight lots of areas where I am going wrong but I'm still practicing!

These are a 1/43 Nigel Lawton Simplex and KB Scale tipper.

Thanks for the inspiration- keep it coming!

James

ps. hope you don't mind me posting these here- it seemed fitting as Nick (Shropshire Lad) built the tipper- thanks Nick.

marc_reusser

James,

Thanks for the kind words.

Wonderfuly done pieces. Even more so considering the scale.  I don't know what your seeing, but I can't see anything you are doing wrong.....maybe adding a bit of caked dust/dirt in some of the nooks and crannies, and on some of the horizontal surfaces, on the tipper.

The pressed sleepers are very cool, did you make those?

BTW, No worries about posting in the thread...I am not particular about it being "mine"...anything that furthers the discussion or provides an example, should be welcome in any thread.

M-Works

james_coldicott

Hi Marc,

glad you liked the pics and thanks for the constructive advice- I always actually feel a bit disappointed if I post here and don't get some criticism/ comments- am here to learn.

The track was made up for the photo's for an article in the NG&I REVIEW- it's  soldered up from brass shim and code 82 rail with Grandt NBW's for the clips. Hope Russ doesn't mind me mentioning a different publication here- an article for the Annual is next on my list.

Will add some 'gunk' as suggested to the nooks and crannies or 'crooks and nannies' as we know them in our house!  ;)

Attached a couple before paint- this is a PE kit with resin radiator and exhaust- goes together like a dream and a separate 6mm motor to run the fan with resistors so the fan starts up before the loco pulls away- very cool!

James

Ken Hamilton

Some very effective weathering showing up here.  Marc, I really like the sign technique.
Blasting the decal before applying it is a great touch.  Love the red loco, too.
Thanks for the info.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Chuck Doan

That is looking great. Very good fade. I also just recently tested the Vallejo paint in a similer fashion. It has different qualities than Polly Scale.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Marc, the loco is looking good! The red paint looks authentically faded.

James, the Simplex and tipper are terrific!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

James ,

The Simplex and skip wagon are looking good , as Marc says , all that is needed is a bit dirt &dust . It is good to see you are putting into practice some of the things I taught you ! Ha ha . But you can't use me as a reason for posting your photos here as I didn't actually build the skips . That was Hughsie before he passed away ( John Hughes a friend of ours who died a year ago at the young age of 62 and a talented modeller ) .

Nick

finescalerr

I look at the outstanding modeling on this thread and find the pool of talent here to be frightening. Let's get this stuff published before I go out of business! -- Russ