• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Thanks Gill.

....errr, that's a Euro Cent, ....for the benefit of our continental members. ;)

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Shucks Craig...I wouldn't want to cheat you out of $15 by selling you a loco that's not in your scale.  ;) ;D

MR

M-Works

mobilgas

your right....i could use that money towards my LUMBER order on the new gas station. :)    Craig

Gordon Ferguson

Marc,

really clean build, you have certainly changed the origonal and developed a completely new character.

Look forward to seeing what you do for the controls ..... hopefully I will be able to "borrow" some ideas

Gordon
Gordon

Mr Potato Head

Marc now that you have come this far and it looks fantastic, did you ever considered that you could have scratched the chassis and the bonnet? You do such a great job scratch building, it seams to me you could have thrown away everything except the motor and drive train and built the rest? The drive train is hidden by the counter weights no one would have known. I think you could have widened the gauge to ¾" and turned the drive around 180 degrees and hide that hideous tower gear cover.
What are your thoughts?

Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Gil,

After this last set of changes, I pretty much came to a sim conclusion about just having scratchbuilt the bonnet....at least I could have gotten a more "Deutz" shape to it....BUT....the benefit of using the Bmann one was that it is made of pretty stiff/ridgid plastic, which holds it's shape (and holds up to handling) far better than a thinner vaccuum formed styrene one.

Re. the motor & drive.....your suggestion may be good for others, but I am pretty much a retard when it comes to motors/drives/electricity in model RRing...so for me to do any changes would have been a real PIA undertaking...and pretty much doing something I just don't really care to learn about.....hence the use of the Bmann to begin with.

The whole project was really just aimed a producing a plausible, non-cartoonish, non-carcature-ish loco (as most Bmann bashes I have seen tend to end up as) from a readily available mechanism,...and doing so with relative ease/simplicity.   I think I did OK on the first part....but since I just can't seem to let well enough alone, the second part got a bit out of hand ;) ;D.........BUT....the whole thing is still easily within the realm of any modeler to do.

I have a second of these locos, and am considering doing it as something like a CKD gas mechanical. This loco is outside frame, and has no drive rods, and tapered/sloped bonnet sides (so I would need to vacuum or heat form it)....not sure if I can do it in 1/35 (because of the room the motor & DCC crap need)...so it may end up having to be 1/32 as well.  (Though this loco will have room for a motor & DCC, it will not actually have one in it, because the one that came with it did not work properly)

QuoteI think you could have widened the gauge to ¾"

....ummm...probably....but, why?......just so it can be 2' gauge?.......maybe I happen to like 20" gauge. ;).....besides you know darn well I consider 3/8 (1:32) a "wrong" scale for this kind of stuff.  ;) ;D ......and thus will likely just end up as shelf/closet urchins anyhow.

MR

M-Works

finescalerr

You are so, uh, contrary! Talented as all hell but contrary. -- Russ

marc_reusser

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

OK regauge it to 11/16 or what ever the correct gauge is for 1:35, I just thought that 2 foot would work out better for you and all the rolling stock you would build? My bad, I like the outcome very much and you turned a toy into a very cool realistic piece. We all know that you have demons and sometimes can't leave well enough alone. What we sometimes consider perfection, you think of as unacceptable, we love that about you that you seldom compromise. Hey this is all the back slapping your getting from me.
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

shropshire lad

I look forward to seeing what you come up with if you have a go at a CKD loco .They produced some interesting machines. Would it be a BN30R you are thinking about ?

Don't listen listen to those other philistines . Make it 1/35th scale and it will be as near to 600mm gauge as you would need .

Have you got any of Andreas Christopher's Die Feldbahn books? There are loads of pictures of those sorts of locos in them .

Nick

marc_reusser

Nick,

I don't have Andreas' book....was unaware there was one...but I did find loads of images on the web. What i did not find though...and if you have any it would be a huge help, are photos of the locos works...IE without the hood, and even more pref, gutted down to the frame and deck plate...or without the deck plate. (One idea I had for the bits & clutter was to build an parially scrapped or in rebuild gas mech loco that was just the frame with or without the drive train, or one that was gutted down to the deck with only motor and radaitor still in place.)

I was actually considering the BN15R rather than the 30.....though the 30 would probably work better with a modified Bmann frame in 1/32 (due to motor & DCC space needed.)

...BUT...

...it seems that the whole thing is somewhat of a moot point at the moment.....I went to look for my second frame...and found everything from the second Bmann loco except for the frame  ??? :-\....no idea where it went :-X.....SO...this puts a bit of a damper on starting this project....however, if I do start it, it will be built straight to 1/35 scale....andat best it will be set up to use a 'black beetle' drive should one be inclined to do so....otherwise it will simply be a static model.  :)

Below are a couple of drawings of the 15 and the 30 from old CKD manuals.

MR

M-Works

shropshire lad

Marc ,

There are in fact 10 volumes of Die Feldbahn ,all dealing with different areas of Germany and Austria . Except for volume 7 , which is devoted to 75 years of Schoma locos . I have managed to get hold of six , with another on the way, and I am constantly looking at them for inspiration . They are not easy to get hold of , I have got most of mine from Germany , but are well worth the not insignificant amount that they cost if you want reference photos of the type of loco that you are thinking of building . I recommend volumes 9 and 10 to start with ,should you decide to get hold of any .

I shall have a look through the books I have to see if there are any photos of what you are looking for .

Have you tried looking at some of the German Feldbahn museums websites ? They tend to have lots of photos of stripped down locos . Whether there are any CKDs amongst them I couldn't say . I'll have a look at some later this evening , after work .

Nick

marc_reusser

Thanks for all the info Nick. Very intersting. I will have to keep a lookout for them next year when I'm in Europe, there are already several books I have found there, but they don't want to ship to the US, so I will pick them up then.

Please don't go to any trouble looking for those image...I have been to scores of the German Feldbahn sites and have cropped some thousand or so images from there...with a number being of stripped locos to some degree or other. I was just inquiring in case you had something readily at hand specif. re. the CKDs. .....also it may be a while till I get to the next loco..decided I want to paint this one first, and finish painting the 1/35 one I did...so no use spending your limited time on this at the moment.

MR

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

They are excellent books Marc. I have two of the series that were brought back from Germany, one by Andreas Christopher and the other by Frank Harding. Unfortunately I don't read German so it's a slow process to go through the text, but luckily there are more photos than text   :)

Paul

Mr Potato Head

www.feldbahn-richter.de
Here are two gifts, but please tell me what CKD stands for  ???
Thanks
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho