• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress: Westinghouse boxcab electric

Started by Hauk, September 09, 2009, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Geese!
And I thought I was nuts putting the Vector cut .5mm nuts on the ends of .015" music wire bent up to represent brake levers on a Nash Quad in 1:48......... :(

Amazing and inspiring work Hawk!
I never tire of the fabricating I see here!
-Marty
feeling like Blind Willie Miopits right now

Malachi Constant

Agree with all ... the pantograph is a true work of art and fine craftsmanship!

Marty ... where'd you find the .5mm nuts on VectorCut site?  I see a set with 1.0 and 1.5 mm bits ... so curious if that's a typo or if there's a smaller set available I'm missing somewhere ...

Cheers,
dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Philip Smith

missed this from the beginning...., Super nice build Hawk!

philip

lab-dad

Dallas, Likely a typo then, all I know is they are friggin small! perfect for what I was doing.

Hauk

One of the things that I have struggled with is a concept to keep the contact shoe of the pantograph flat against the overhead wire.
For some reason I have avoided the obvious: Do it like the prototype!
The prototype uses four springs and two vertical levers to keep the shoe in place.

I think the reason for ignoring this was the problem with obtaining reall small springs. And again, i missed the obious solution. Sommerfeldt is probably the largest manufacturer of pantographs in all major modelling scales, and when I finally checked their spare parts list, I found springs with a diameter of 1 mm and length of 5mm. But they were a horror to work with, countless times there was a little *ping* and the little bugger flew across the room .

Things started to click, and last night I built a prototype for the centering mechanism. It was a lot of trial and error before arriving at a working solution, so there are a few traces from failed attempts:

And that in fact concludes the work on the pantograph!
With the prototype done, I can move on to the *real* ones...

Regards,
Haavard

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

I see no evidence of failure; only evidence of success. -- Russ

lab-dad

Most excellent work!
I can see lots of uses for those springs.......and a need to buy a lot "boing"
-Marty

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

JohnP

OK so I've seen the big pennies but now it's 12" long rubber fingers!

I really like this work. It is miniature mechanical perfection. Next we'll hear Haavard is using carbon nano-tubes for the perfectly scaled power switching circuitry.

John
John Palecki

Hauk

Thanks a lot for all the kind feedback!
Those pesky little springs left me more than a little cross-eyed, so I am seriously considering getting one like this:

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=94-95-1150&kw=&st=0

Have anyone tried using a stero microscope as a modelling aid?

-Haavard
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

A stereo microscope might be handy for some of my projects, such as sculpting figures of real people. But the price is far out of my range, so I'll have to stick with the ol' magnifying lamp.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: Hauk on September 16, 2010, 11:08:12 AM
Those pesky little springs left me more than a little cross-eyed, so I am seriously considering getting one like this:
-Haavard
After working with those springs, the rest of us would be getting one of THESE:

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

JohnP

Ken, that looks familiar but it must be the long sleeve version:

John
John Palecki

marc_reusser

WOW!...you are truely insane Havard!  Beautiful work.

Glad I don't have your level of skill.....I would go over the brink completely.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Tom Neeson

No Scribed Siding!