• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Studio CG Modelling/Animation Project

Started by WP Rayner, May 25, 2019, 12:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: WP Rayner on October 01, 2022, 02:47:03 PMIt's so complex now, most CG artists have to specialize in just one technical discipline; ie character modelling, environment modelling, rigging, animation, lighting, material development, effects, compositing, and on and on. Just look at the credits for any current animated film or film with a lot of CG effects to get an idea of how many artist hours are required... it's staggering.

Yep, and for CGI artists in the film industry it's long hours, unrealistic deadlines, and low pay.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

WP Rayner

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 01, 2022, 07:26:17 PMYep, and for CGI artists in the film industry it's long hours, unrealistic deadlines, and low pay.

Yes indeed... an employment relationship that can best be described as exploitative.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

finescalerr

In that case I hope you are charging an appropriate fee for your work. -- Russ

WP Rayner

Quote from: finescalerr on October 02, 2022, 01:04:38 PMIn that case I hope you are charging an appropriate fee for your work. -- Russ

Yes, I do, but I always negotiate with the client to arrive at a fee that's fair to both parties. As an independent (not a minion in a larger studio) I am selective about the clients and projects I will take on. If the project doesn't interest me or the client expects far too much for way too little, I won't take it on. The greatest insult is when a potential client asks you to do a free sample project to see what you're like to work with. I have a trenchant two word response to such a request.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Barney

Just amazing stuff - I don't understand much about it - but it's just fascinating - its some sort of magic it to me
Keep the good work up Im sure you know what your doing its fantastic !!!!!!!
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

WP Rayner

Quote from: Barney on October 05, 2022, 02:03:59 PMJust amazing stuff - I don't understand much about it - but it's just fascinating - its some sort of magic it to me
Keep the good work up Im sure you know what your doing its fantastic !!!!!!!
Barney
Thanks Barney!
Paul

Bernd

Hi Paul,

Just got done watching all of your video's in the last two days. I watched your Victory series and find it very fascinating with the techniques you used to build the keel.

I'm into model railroading but like to see how others use tools and techniques in their hobby interest. I've subscribed and will be following along on any future video's.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

WP Rayner

Quote from: Bernd on October 07, 2022, 12:27:51 PMHi Paul,

Just got done watching all of your video's in the last two days. I watched your Victory series and find it very fascinating with the techniques you used to build the keel.

I'm into model railroading but like to see how others use tools and techniques in their hobby interest. I've subscribed and will be following along on any future video's.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd, I'm glad you find the channel interesting and thank you for subscribing, much appreciated. It will be a while before there's a new video. I've had to temporarily suspend work on the Victory. I have a client's CG animation to complete plus will be losing a lot of time in general over the next couple of months because of radiation treatments that require a lot of travel time.

I see you're in the Rochester area... an old stomping ground! Lived in Rochester and in the Finger Lakes region in the 70s and 80s. That's where I purchased the Victory kit. A buddy of mine ran the hobby dept. at Scrantom's and he ordered it for me. Long time ago now...
Paul

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: WP Rayner on October 08, 2022, 07:21:29 AMI have a client's CG animation to complete plus will be losing a lot of time in general over the next couple of months because of radiation treatments that require a lot of travel time.

Good luck with the radiation! I just completed mine on Tuesday. I'm really glad I went that route, it's so much better than the other options I was given.

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I command both of you to feel good, be healthy and robust, and live long and happily. -- Russ

WP Rayner

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 08, 2022, 10:53:56 PMGood luck with the radiation! I just completed mine on Tuesday. I'm really glad I went that route, it's so much better than the other options I was given.

That's excellent news Ray, congratulations. My situation is not terribly threatening. I've been dealing with Basal Cell skin cancer for the past 10 years and MOS surgery has always been successful for me. They just lop off bits of my head every once in a while when another spot appears. At the last operation on an ear in September, they discovered that the cancer had travelled to the nerves, a highway to the rest of the body, hence the need for radiation. The oncologist is confident. He plans what he calls "superficial" radiation treatments, five days/week for four weeks. The downside is that the cancer clinic is 55 miles from us, not a huge distance, but when you factor in twenty plus round trips in a month, it has a significant impact on time in the studio and workshop as well as the household budget. Nevertheless it will be time and effort well spent and we are looking forward to getting it all behind us.
Paul

WP Rayner

Quote from: finescalerr on October 08, 2022, 11:45:24 PMI command both of you to feel good, be healthy and robust, and live long and happily. -- Russ

Yes Sir! I have no intention of doing otherwise. Besides, if I were to expire prematurely, my wife would kill me... ;)
Paul

Bernd

Quote from: WP Rayner on October 08, 2022, 07:21:29 AM
Quote from: Bernd on October 07, 2022, 12:27:51 PMHi Paul,

Bernd

Thanks Bernd, I'm glad you find the channel interesting and thank you for subscribing, much appreciated. It will be a while before there's a new video. I've had to temporarily suspend work on the Victory. I have a client's CG animation to complete plus will be losing a lot of time in general over the next couple of months because of radiation treatments that require a lot of travel time.

I see you're in the Rochester area... an old stomping ground! Lived in Rochester and in the Finger Lakes region in the 70s and 80s. That's where I purchased the Victory kit. A buddy of mine ran the hobby dept. at Scrantom's and he ordered it for me. Long time ago now...

Paul,

Wishing you the best in your treatments.  And I can wait till you get back at making videos. Allows me more time build models than watching videos that are very interesting.

Ah yes, Scranton's hobby section in downtown Rochester. Remember it well. It's to bad it's gone like other hobby shops in the area.

Regards,
Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: WP Rayner on October 09, 2022, 04:57:36 AMThe downside is that the cancer clinic is 55 miles from us, not a huge distance, but when you factor in twenty plus round trips in a month, it has a significant impact on time in the studio and workshop as well as the household budget.

Yeah, that's rough. I count myself very lucky, living only a few minutes away from the only proton radiation facility in the entire state of California.

Ray Dunakin's World