• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Luke's Garage & Gas Station

Started by Stuart, June 29, 2022, 10:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

The foil rag turned out very well. I also like those screw jacks. I might have to get a couple of those from Ozark and find a good place for them on my layout.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

An obvious success. Satisfactory. -- Russ

Les Tindall

Brilliant! Extremely realistic.
Les

Bill Gill

Excellent, Stuart. It definitely looks just like a shop rag casually put on the stump.
I'm curious, in your search for a material to use for the rag, did you consider aluminum foil? wrong texture? dwouldn't fold correctly? wouldn't hold paint?

Stuart

Hello Bill. 

Tin foil did cross my mind as a potential material but as I have worked with foil in the past I find that it wants to fold too sharply leaving a crease instead of a soft fold.  To be truthful, I did not make an attempt with tin foil for that reason. That being said, I have used tin foil in other fabric folding applications where I have spray glued a layer of foil to the back side of an actual piece of fabric and then manipulated the combination to represent a blanket or a piece of drapery.  I actually used this method in creating the bed covers in the upstairs apartment on my garage and gas station project as shown below.

Bed.jpg

Ray Dunakin

That bedding looks amazing! Is there cloth on both sides of the foil?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Stuart

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on January 03, 2024, 08:57:08 PMThat bedding looks amazing! Is there cloth on both sides of the foil?

Yes, the foil is sandwiched between the sheet and the blue plaid blanket. The gray blanket also has a foil backing.

Stuart

My two Tokheim clock face gas pumps are nearing completion.  The globes at the top of each pump will be electrified (lighted).  The pump faces will also be lighted with a small bulb housed in the cap piece above each clock face.

With my newly acquired 3D printing equipment I opted to add much more detail to the pump bodies.  Early on, I had only a clean tube but now I have the addition of an access panel and some fastening hardware for each half of the lower body sections. 

Soon I will be adding the photo etched clock face hands, attaching "glass" in the face of each bezel, and putting the hoses and nozzles in place.  The paint scheme is as pictured below. Lastly, the various advertising and warning decals will be installed and then everything lightly aged.

Gas Pumps.jpgClock face gas pumps 2.jpgGas Pumps.jpg

finescalerr

Absolutely superb and as close to perfection as is possible. -- Russ

Carlo

Stewart, that is phenomenal!  HO Scale?  Amazing.
Carlo

Barney

Very nice with excellence of workmanship - Especially the pumps
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Carlo

Hi, Stuart - Somehow, I missed this thread when it was posted. I just love what you've done. I too model in 1/12 scale. Partly to take advantage of the details available to the "dollhouse" people. I especially like the Chrysndon products, with their fine detail. I also make the occasional train model, and in this scale, 32mm gauge is perfect for 15" (Heywood, minimal) gauge. I look forward to more of your work in 1/12 scale. Have I missed anything else since July, 2022 ?  My work iis at www.carlospirito.com/dioramas.html
Regards, Carlo

Bill Gill

Stuart

Carlo - Some fun stuff you have created.  And, yes, my work is in 1/12th scale.

Stuart

Peter_T1958

Phenomenal indeed! And I am overwhelmed by the fineness of those details that you are able to print in that scale! It seems that I should go for a bigger scale too...  ::)
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/