• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

War Department Sentinel Steam Wagon

Started by Barney, February 10, 2014, 09:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Started to Sort a WD Sentinel Steam Wagon in 1/35th  (whilst waiting for fresh stocks of rivets) and for a change loads of information on these
"little brutes" acrylic rod boiler and Evergreen channel / strip for main chassis.
Barney

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Mr Potato Head

What year is this? It's rear traction looks like a early Holt, is it before WW1
I've never seen this before
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Barney

A little bit of history
The Sentinel was the product of a Glasgow firm of marine engineers Alley & Maclellan
Designed by Stephen Alley the first Sentinel was introduced in 1906 and featured a vertical boiler and a really efficient superheater .The engine was 2 cylinders under floor type.
In 1917 Alley & Maclellan was renamed Sentinel Wagon Works and the Factory was moved to Shrewsbury where it remained until the end of production in 1950
The tracked drive was introduced in the 1st World War years and several variations were on trial by the War Department one of which was a Holt type. At the end of the war the war department sold of the steam wagons many were used by local council authorities for use on road works some being converted back to the original wheedled type.
The WD versions were all fitted with heavy duty winches some with two - one up front one up rear. these Steam Wagons were used mainly for the towing of Heavy artillery and equipment with the capabilities of the winch for assembling the heavy guns and bridge building and other engineering projects – most photographs show them in use in England around dock yards towing and loading equipment onto ships I have not found many photos of them being used in Europe in the "Great War" years but a few after the war in France helping in rebuilding of roads – railways and Hospitals.
Hope that was not to boring
Barney

Ray Dunakin

Cool, especially the version with the tracks.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Cool project!  Look forward to watching your build.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Barney

Start of the front axle and transverse spring - modified Grandt Line wheels  - rims are 10 thou Evergreen strip 2 layers
Hosted on Fotki
Under floor 2 cylinder engine started and ready for detailing
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Barney

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

Terry Harper

Very Nice Barney,

Was the tracked version a one-off? Here is a similar machine that Phoenix Manufacturing of Eau Clair Wisconsin developed. Phoenix was a large supplier of logging equipment and offered steam powered log haulers built under the Lombard Patents. Around 1914-15 they attempted to market a gasoline version which was later offered in modified form by Allis Chalmers.

Amazingly according to the January 7, 1922 issue of "American Lumberman" they attempted to offer a advanced steam design. Whether they actually built a machine or not know.

Here are the specs  (note the use of compound engines, condensers and an advanced boiler design.)

Source: The Phoenix Road Locomotive, American Lumberman, January 7, 1922, pp 68 & 69

Boiler pressure: 400 psi

Steam chest pressure:300 psi @ 25% cutoff (super heated)

Boiler: Drumless sectional water-tube boiler designed by W.H. Winslow (Winslow Bro. Co. Chicago, IL.)

Burner: Blast type (oil, low grade distillates)

Condensers: Under normal operating conditions the water lose per gallon is equal to the fuel burned.

Weight: 8-1/2 tons

Capacity: (deck load) 5 tons

Drawbar pull:(normal) 2,500 lbs @ 6 mph

Drawbar pull: (Maximum) 5,000 lbs @ 6 mph

Wheel base: 10’-6”

Engines:(2) 3-1/2x7”x5” (compound)

Brake horsepower: 60 hp @ 25% cutoff

The article optimistically states: “Orders are now being tentatively accepted for these road locomotive – deliveries scheduled for the spring of 1922”

Apparently like the gasoline tractor this machine used a track design by C. L. Tolles (Pat. 1106595, Nov. 1, 1912) that is based on the Nov. 9, 1900 Lombard patent as previously used by Phoenix.

W.H. Winslow patented quite a number of boiler designs. Since the article stated it was a sectional water-tube design that had 10 years and $150,000.00 of development behind it I assumed it to based on this his May 1921 patent.

Anyway, don't mean to highjack your thread but I found the similarities rather striking. Looking forward to watching your progress and seeing the amazing example of craftsmanship that results.

Best regards,

Terry

Barney

Well that's a new one -never seen this type before - Evidently the Sentinel version used a variety of makers for the tracks most were tested by the War Department but proved to be a bit unreliable the Holt version seemed to be the popular choice manly because production parts were available and existing units could be used without to much modification
Barney

Malachi Constant

-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Barney

Slow progress but its full steam ahead from now on dead line for September !! trial fit of the tracks and suspension bits - separate track links are white metal suitably modified.
Barney

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Ray Dunakin

Looking good!

What is the source of the tracks?

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Ray the tracks are from the Friulmodel range they are very nice very little flash - I use pins to join them I find it easier than using the wire they supply
Could not get much info on the Holt set up so I'm working from the pictures and descriptions and using "the drive tooth on the track version" Holt Caterpillar type use the teeth on the drive wheel.
Barney

Barney

Water tank fitted and winch side plates trial fit with "sloppy" brass wire cable drums acrylic rod.

Hosted on Fotki