• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The play ground

Started by Daniel, July 24, 2022, 03:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Thank you Russ.

Once done Magoo, with his eyes  looking to each other, said to me:

"_I did this because wanted to probe myself i am capable of getting it done; but don't dare even to dream i will do it again!!!_"

Daniel

Daniel

Quote from: Bill Gill on September 12, 2022, 06:23:06 PMDaniel, I just looked at all you newest photos here and like your enjoyment of experimenting with all kinds of materials and techniques.

Thank you Bill!

Daniel

(Hmm... no Daniel, words couldn't convey what you want to say but there is no need: Bill got it.)

Ray Dunakin

The palm trees look great!

I'm still trying to find something to replicate the look of fan palms, which are the only kind native to our local desert.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Daniel

Thank you, Ray.

So far it seems to me there are only three ways: one is finding something for the leaves as in my case.
The oather is using some of the laser cut leaves which , in my opinion, are not really convincing. (Not to mention they terrify poor Mr. Walletand make him cry.).
The third method is making one's own.

During my study i did something that may be the way: i bought a big dummy book and cut. all at once, the free side of the blades in the shape of a human head profile... with the bandsaw.
I expected a lot of undesired dammage but, surprisingly, nothing at all was damaged. Not even the last page.
Now: what about using that method and cut staples of say, 110 blades a time That's the number of pages in this one with Rowney 100Gr. paper...

https://www.vanderlindewebshop.com/nl/catalog/papier-karton/dummy-schetsboeken/daler-rowney/dummy-harde-kaft/g+c+bg+a

(The one i used was the same but in super cheap version)

As long as one takes care of cutting from the free edge towards the spine of the book should go well but one should also take care of orientating the to be cut leaves with their free end towatds the outer edge of the paper so nothing moves until de final cut at the stem of the leaves is done...

(No Daniel, you are not going to sacrifice a book for trying. Go and buy a dummy.)

B.t.w.: the experiment i suggested for making some type of leaves with Sisal was a fiasco and even the computer laughted at me. But i have prepared another gig. Just i forgot; so thanmk you for reminding me!

Could you post the image of the type of leaf you want and it's total length?

Thank you!

Daniel

Daniel

I don't remember where but i've said i would look for a big light blue panel i have so to provide a better background for the photos.
Well i didn't find it but found something better:

IMG_0059 (259) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0058 (270) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0057 (278) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0056 (296) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0055 (297) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0052 (287) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Don't worry about the poor photos, it is just the wall what counts. Now i will be able to take better photos. Specially because found a solution for the other problem: sharpness.

I must use three different pairs of glasses. Arranging a setting for a photo means i use the middle one. Now i discover that if i do so but put on the third glasses i won't be clear the arranged setting but will see very good the image in the camera so i will know when itr is sharp enough to shoot.,
You may laugh but this is as important to me as relativity to NASA!  :D

Magoo

Daniel

The muses strike again!

They said 

"_Well, now you are going to buy a dummy you can also buy some talk._"

What for?, i asked.

"_For adding every time the specific clouds you want to fit the image, dummy!_"

How could i not give that a try?

Daniel

Daniel

But sometimes even the muses aren't really right: bought the talk. Now the wall and i smell as seventyone years ago but the effect on the wall is none.
Tried pouder wit pastel. No noticeable difference.
I dare to take the airbrush but then would be condemned to an eternally recognizable background. Last option before the airbrush is chalk poeder but if pastel didn't work i see no reason to expect chalk will. Still...
We'll see.

I also bought a small dummy so as soon as Ray answers my previous message i will do the cutting and se...  No, i couldn't wait. I will use half the dummy for an 1/32 intent and spare the other half for Ray's scale.

See you later.

Daniel

Daniel

Everybody can make something nice from this

IMG_0042 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0039 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Those toothed cardboard pieces come from the boxes of aluminium foil and other rolled kitchen materials.

Mr. Wallet

Daniel

IMG_0002 by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0003 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0005 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0006 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0011 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0014 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0017 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0019 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0020 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0022 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0023 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0040 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Now with two blades at once so to be able to use thicker wood...

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THE TEETH OF ONE BLADE STAY AT THE MIDDLE OF THE SPACE BETWEEN TWO TEETH OF THE OTHER WHEN ONE ADJUST THE FASTENER SCREW AT THE AXLE OF THE MACHINE!!!

IMG_0041 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0042 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0043 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0044 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0053 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0054 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Magoo

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Daniel on September 14, 2022, 02:20:45 AMCould you post the image of the type of leaf you want and it's total length?

I don't have one on hand to measure, but here are a couple images I found online:

My quest to find a suitable material for replicating these in miniature is complicated by the fact that it will be outside, exposed to the sun and weather.

Ray Dunakin's World

Daniel

Thank you, Ray.

I'm afraid that lies far beyond my reach and also the bandsaw's.

I will try (bought yesterday a small dummy for that) but think the risk that te 100Gr. paper, even if very strong, couldn't take the converging cuttings from so many directions is huge. And still remains another tricky thing: the separately longitudinal foldings...

If i were you wanting to model the daily neighborhood i would...(sorry...!) move to Alaska!  :D

Now serious: are we talkingf 1/20,3 scale?

You must have a bitr of a notion of the fan being 3, 4, 6 or more feet wide... Don't you?

Let me know.

Daniel

Ray Dunakin

I'd guess it's about four feet wide.

I keep watching the craft stores, something may turn up eventually. If not it's no big deal, a palm tree or two might be nice to have on my layout but it's not a "must-have."

Ray Dunakin's World

Daniel

Thank you Ray. But is it for 1/20,3 or other scale?

I have been thinking (i guess is already the third time this year!) steel 3D print with the radial mold (would look as a very strange gear) could be the best option.
Such a mould would be a perfect for home vacuum forming (i don't know if you are familiar with it but is really very simple if you can use the kitchen oven and the home vacuum cleaner and often is a good help to use also a hot gun) the plades but also as a perfect guide at vutting the surplus areas with a hobby knife. In total it may take something as 5 minutes to get done a whole single leaf -not included preparation- but for two trees you would have enough with 20 to 30 leaves.
You can make the 3D drawing with the FREE version of Sketchup and order from Shapeways if you upload the  Sketchup 'COLLADA' file.

Shapeways offers a variety of metals so eventually you could order it made in brass, but it would be more expensive than stainless steel and be more vulnerable for the many cuts along the brass edges.

One thing i would certainly do before deciding is to ask Bernhard's opinion!

In case you do it, there are plenty of films about home vacuum forming in Youtube.

Vacuum forming would give you perfectly shaped and formed leaves (including every single folding and the perfect orientation of each part), super light weight (i would use very thin thermoplastic but .010 styrene would work fine too)

These are big examples but for one leaf at a time you would need a much smaller and simpler installation. These two films let you see the  commercial and the home made versions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMx8_d6RM54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS5elpmwVFE

Daniel

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Daniel on September 16, 2022, 01:02:03 AMThank you Ray. But is it for 1/20,3 or other scale?

1/24th scale

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawrence@NZFinescale

You could probably do these successfully with an etch.  I've etched a LOT of foliage. At 50mm or so per frond that's going to add up pretty fast though. I'd say if you want one or two specimens that it would be worth a look.  My initial back-of-the-envelope suggests it would be a gasp, but not too deep a one. Not hard to do.

If you decided to vac form there is no need to go to a metal former - a 3D print in the right resin would do (Admittedly with lower life).  Our local library has vac formers for the aspiring hobbyist - yours may too.

Laser cut would work too.  Paper would be easy, but no good for outside, so material choice may be tricky.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com