• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

2ft gauge battery loco

Started by Les Tindall, April 24, 2020, 02:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Tindall

16mm scale model of a Wingrove & Rogers 2ft battery loco.   Hundreds of these were built in the UK for mines, quarries, etc in the 60's and 70's. They were simple, rugged machines.  The model shows a well-worn one laying out of use minus the battery box (which would have sat on top of the motor.  The space for the driver was absolutely minimal, not even a seat, but then it would have been used around a yard or underground over short distances.   
Scratch-built in styrene, parts from the "bits box", wheels turned on a Dremel.
Les

Les Tindall

p.s.   the wheels on the original were really that wide, to accommodate rough track.
Les

Hydrostat

That looks pretty darn good! And about the wheels: Often nearly perfect railway models lack prototypical wheel shapes. Much appreciated you took a close look.
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

I like not only the loco but the entire scene. Didn't you post a few photos of the structure last year? Most satisfactory. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Les Tindall

Hi Russ, yes I did post some photos (last year I think) of the structures. I've been working on the "elements" of the scene since then now going to commence weeds, bushes, etc to build up the atmosphere (to make it look a bit like Indiana Jones coming across an old ruin). Will post some pics when that is completed.
Les

Barney

Looking good Les - love the little critter
Dug out this od bod a small Battery box loco - the prototype I came across at a Slate supplers (very expensive) in North Wales was not in use any more just tucked up a corner
only info I could find was they think it was built from an old Fork lift truck although some battery box parts were used - and would you believe I built the critter as the prototype
with very little modellers licence
Barney

Barney

Barney

finescalerr

This thread has all kinds of cool stuff. -- Russ

Barney

Les this Diorama is looking better than good - You are certainly are  giving us plenty to look at plus of course plenty of inspiration for all scales
Barney

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Very pretty.  I love these little simple critters.
Bernhard