• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

2ft gauge wagon in 16mm scale

Started by Les Tindall, May 06, 2019, 12:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Tindall

Just thought I would share a photo of a scratch built (other than the wheels) G.R.Turner (wagon builders) 2ft gauge wagon. Built in styrene and wood from drawings of one that ran on the Ministry of Defence's Calshot Railway near Southampton in the UK. 

Hauk

Quote from: Les Tindall on May 06, 2019, 12:04:39 PM
Just thought I would share a photo of a scratch built (other than the wheels) G.R.Turner (wagon builders) 2ft gauge wagon. Built in styrene and wood from drawings of one that ran on the Ministry of Defence's Calshot Railway near Southampton in the UK. 

Very nice! A little tutorial on the painting would be much appreciated!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Les Tindall

Nothing special on the painting. My usual method is spray Humbrol Tank Grey, then use a variety of weathering powders, different shades of rust, grimy grey, brown and one called "gungy green" which represents the "pantina" that appears on metals.  The wood is basswood, distressed with a brass wire disc, knot holes added, chips taken out of the wood and the whole thing stained with a brown/black dilute paint.

Les 

shropshire lad

Excellent work , Les . You are going to have to go into a bit more detail with regard to how you achieved the finish .   

Oh, and I'll have two in 1/35th Scale , please .

Bill Gill

very good! Is that a toothpick-knot on the right side of the lower plank?

Les Tindall

Bill, I just use a knife blade for knot holes, varying the depth of hole for variety. 

Nick, sorry can't do it in 1/35th for you, the re-tooling costs are too high (another blade for the knife) and the hassle of product re-ordering (another sheet of plasticard). Thanks for your comments though.

Les

Barney

found it ! Outstanding quality excellent finish
Barney

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that looks great! Really love the color and texture of the wood.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Les Tindall

Thanks Ray
as mentioned I just us the circular equivalent of a wire brush for distressing the wood, along with knifed knot holes, then stain it with dilute brown/black paint, plus in this case a little bit of green to "age" the wood. I also added some more grey and brown powders, again to make the whole thinmg look weather-beaten.

Les