• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

B9 Bonanza!

Started by Bexley, February 13, 2015, 05:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bexley

It arrived this week. I'm in Chicago right now for Crystal Brush (wish me luck) so I won't start setting it up until probably Tuesdayish.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

And here it is. I have a bunch of other stuff to do today, so I probably won't get to it until tomorrow. I probably won't be printing until later this week, if the assembly goes well.

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

Couldn't wait. The box, unpacked:

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

Nice! The hardware is pre-sorted into assembly steps.

Step One, completed.

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

Step two, completed.

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

I got lazy and stopped taking pictures. It is assembled, and currently running a dry run. I'm tired, and I want to be awake while it runs it's first for reals print (which will be nothing exciting, just some 1 cm cubes with 2mm thick walls) so it'll have to wait for tomorrow.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

finescalerr

Keep us posted! I'm sure the initial steps will be boring but a month from now you'll be turning out gorgeous resin parts. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

I wouldn't have been able to wait. And neither could you! Cool, hope to see some good results soon.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Bexley

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

finescalerr

So does that make you square? Okay, I'm going to the corner. But to be serious for a rare moment, there appears to be "flash" or "melted resin" or something at the base of the cubes. What is it and why does it form? -- Russ

Bexley

It is uncured resin. I hadn't done any cleanup as of that photo.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

I also have a second print. Pics will have to come later (lunchtime, likely) but so far, it's going well. Not quite the sharpness of detail I'd like, but since I'm using a custom resin mix, it'll take some tweaking of settings to dial in the material properties. Even so, for my first "actual" print, I'm excited. If I never got better resolution off the machine, I'd be more than satisfied with my purchase.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

Second Print:

As I already noted, the details a re a tad soft, but overall, I'm happy. I left the supports on, as I figured some of you might want to see that. I'll trim and clean them tonight, and post some macro photos.

Unfortunately, I don't have the files here at work, so I can't tell you off the top of my head what the sizes of those details are. The only one I know for sure is the raised "stripe" on the crest on the back of the Farseer head is .3mm wide and .3mm proud of the surface.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

Oh, and the resolution was 50 micron XY, 25 micron Z.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack