• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HMS Victory 1:98

Started by WP Rayner, October 06, 2021, 08:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

If you are modeling a ship, your preferred drink for the duration of construction must become GROG. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

Just what I always dream about drinking, diluted cheap rum!  If I drink rum it has to be a Cuba Libre.

WP Rayner

It's been a long time since I've posted an update on this project. Took July off from the model bench to build a vendor display (in Maple and Purpleheart) for my sister's embroidery business. Because of its size, that project took over the entire workshop. Our two remaining Ash trees were felled last month, so I've been spending a lot of time flailing about with a chainsaw, schlepping logs, and splitting firewood... it never ends.

Concerning the Victory, the solid wood Bow Timbers are now glued up to the modified Mantua plywood keel and the joint has been cut in the solid wood Keel/Sternpost assembly, ready to be glued and treenailed in place.

KeelTimbersAssyWIP.jpg
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

finescalerr

Construction is just whizzing right along. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Nice! It's amazing to me how many separate pieces of wood went into making that bow timber.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

WP Rayner

Quote from: finescalerr on August 04, 2022, 04:16:28 PMConstruction is just whizzing right along. -- Russ
Isn't it though. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually looking forward to winter when all the outdoor work and construction will slow, freeing up more time for the workshop.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

WP Rayner

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on August 04, 2022, 11:13:48 PMNice! It's amazing to me how many separate pieces of wood went into making that bow timber.
Thanks Ray. There's a lot of complex miniature joinery in that assembly.
Paul

WP Rayner

After months of intermittent work on the keel, attention can now be turned to the Victory frames. First photo shows the full keel assembly with the solid timber keel, sternpost and bow timbers married to the modified Mantua plywood keel.
KeelAssembled.jpg

Second photo is a detail shot of the forward section showing the Boxwood treenails used to reinforce the solid timber keel to plywood joint. There are also three brass "treenails" (not visible) reinforcing the joint between the bow timbers and the plywood. These pins come in from the top of the plywood keel and pass into the bow timbers. Near the upper right of the photo you can see one of the two threaded brass inserts in the keel which provide the option of mounting the hull to machined support pillars as opposed to a cradle.
KeelAssembledDetail.jpg

Paul

finescalerr

You have made a silk purse from a sow's ear. Acceptable. -- Russ

Carlo

Paul - I've been following on YouTube.
I love your patient and meticulous approach to building.
I wish I could do more of that; I tend to rush things sometimes.
Carlo

WP Rayner

Quote from: finescalerr on September 01, 2022, 12:10:28 AMYou have made a silk purse from a sow's ear. Acceptable. -- Russ
Thanks Russ!
Quote from: Carlo on September 01, 2022, 05:39:15 AMPaul - I've been following on YouTube.
I love your patient and meticulous approach to building.
I wish I could do more of that; I tend to rush things sometimes.
Carlo
Thanks Carlo. Lately it hasn't always been a matter of patience. The past few months it's been more of an available time issue for me and, as a result, the temptation is always there to rush through a process. Past experience has taught me that rushing, in any discipline, will always result in an unacceptable outcome.
Paul

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Fun fact:

Facebook has a group for those building HMS Victory models.  Over 4000 members.

In contrast, groups interested in modelling NZ railways (my interest) have well less than 1000 members.

While I don't read very much into anything observed on Facebook, building Victory seems positively mainstream!  Of course, it isn't the subject that it is as important as the skill of the modeller and quality of the outcome.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

WP Rayner

Quote from: Lawrence@NZFinescale on December 14, 2022, 12:23:07 PMFun fact:

Facebook has a group for those building HMS Victory models.  Over 4000 members.

Yes, Lawrence, there are actually a couple of them. I belong to the HMS Victory Modellers Group which now has 6500 members. It's run by a fellow modeller here in Canada. With the application of laser cutting, CNC milling, and 3D printing, which account for the vast majority of wood kits on the market today, ship modelling has progressed from a niche discipline for skilled modelbuilders to the open market, and become very popular. Quality varies widely, but some contemporary kits in the hands of a builder with some experience, can produce a very respectable end result. Several scratch builders I'm familiar with are using CNC for milling their model's components and producing astounding work.
Paul

WP Rayner

Finally have an update on the Victory project. Now that treatments are finished, I've been able to make some time for the workbench while work progresses on the watch animation, which will continue to take most of my time for the next few months. It certainly feels good to be back at the workbench, I've missed it.

I've cut out all of the frames on the scroll saw and milled/pared the slots in the frames where they attach to the keel. Photo shows them lined up temporarily on the keel on the build board. The holes in the frames were bored with a Forstner bit as access holes for cutting out the waste material in the deck regions. The large hole makes it easier to set up cutting angles in the scroll saw. In the foreground is the "T" reinforcement stringer that runs the length of the hull from the furthest forward frame to the aft-most frame.

KeelWFramesInsta.jpg

Currently I'm milling openings in the lower portion of the frames to accept the "T" stringer. The photo shows the milling setup. I made an MDF sacrificial table onto which I scribed a centre line with the mill, then milled a small slot along that centre line to accept a piece of scrap keel stock as a locator. The frame is slid into place on the keel locator, then centre line alignment confirmed before clamping the frame to the table and milling the "T" slots. In this way the "T" slots are aligned accurately with the keel slots. After milling, I square up the ends of the slots with a small chisel.

MillingTSlotsInsta.jpg

I'm referencing off the frame centre line for all milling operations, as the printed cut-out lines are less than accurate on most of the frames. That is particularly obvious in the third photo which shows the forward frame in position on the "T" stringer. The printed cut lines are considerably off centre. I also reduced slightly the overall size of the stringer by truing up the stock supplied in the kit and assembling the stringer with a machined rabbet in the top piece for added accuracy and strength.

FrameTStringer.jpg

That's it for now. Once all the "T" slots are milled, it will be time to cut out the waste material in the deck areas with the scroll saw and hand-held jewellers saw.

Paul

finescalerr

Beautiful. And it's good that you finally found some time to work on the ship. -- Russ