• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/87 Waterfront Diorama

Started by Carl_B, September 14, 2016, 04:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl_B

Thanks very much Allan and Wes!
Carl

Doane

Carl: Excellent! What did you use for the lighting system, I'm dealing with that right now. I was using some 3v battery packs with small wheat bulbs but am now trying to go with a 5v phone DC wall outlet that attaches with a USB cord and the problem is adapting to 3 and 5 volt led lights.

Les Tindall

Yes, I'd be interested in your lighting system as I'm thinking of installing some in the sternwheeler dredger under construction at the moment.
Les

Carl_B

Thanks Doane and Les...

My lighting plans are very simple & uses minimal components.

The electrical schematic shows what and how I'm using a 9 volt power supply, the LED's and voltage dropping resistors.
You can add more lights and resistors and the same wiring for more lights...

I use copper tape strips as busses for the 9 volt positive side, and 9 volt negative side. I solder a resistor in between the negative side voltage and the negative side of the LED. The strips wrap around the interior of structures for ease of installation. Kind of like a GIANT circuit board.

The LED's are 0603 SMD (surface mount devices)....and run at 3.2 volt and have a 20 milliamp draw.(which is close to full brightness).

A wall wart 9 volt supply is connected to the copper tape strips. I use black and white hook up wire to interconnect everything.

The entire build was documented on another forum.
Link here....https://railroad-line.com/node/33821

Carl

Carl_B

Schematic:
Carl

Barney

The Diorama is very nice and fine workmanship and in HO well it leaves me speechless 
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Doane

Carl: Thanks for the info and your work is amazing!

Carl_B

Appreciate the compliments Barney and Doane!
Carl