• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Designing a shadowbox diorama

Started by Hauk, July 27, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Oh blimey, another 120 days without a post...
So just a bump of the thread to say that even if the project has been in hiatus for far too long, I have not given up. Last night I started building the CHB lathe kit I aquired a while back. I am still in a state of awe over the quality of the cast metal parts...

dreiebenk_w.jpg

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bernhard

A beautiful model that will certainly fit well in your workshop.

Bernhard

finescalerr

Good to see you've made a little progress.

Charlie Brommer was a pretty good pattern maker, wasn't he?

Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on March 24, 2023, 12:04:09 PMGood to see you've made a little progress.

Charlie Brommer was a pretty good pattern maker, wasn't he?

Russ

Indeed he was. I would love to learn more about how he made his masters and castings. To me it is downright incomprehensible how he was able to make such detailed and filigree parts using manual tools.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Hauk

Another small detail for the shop. One of the anvils have gotten a foundation from old ties. I have never seen a prototype for this, but it seemed like a logical solution for a railroad workshop.
Regards, Hauk
--

Les Tindall

I remember those Brommer kits, an absolute joy to put together and a fine surface texture that took paint superbly.
Les

finescalerr

I wonder whether repeated use of the anvil might cause the wood ties to disintegrate. -- Russ

Barney

Normal practice for mounting Anvils (even in large industrial workshops) is mount it on A BIG lump of wood it helps cushion the blows of your hammer some work shops used to shape the trunk up a bit more a large square type but others just left as a trunk - the version mounted on angle iron never seemed to cushion to much nothing like the thump of an anvil even when you hit your foot (and this comes from experience ) I have seen sleepers/ ties used but normally bolted together with long coach bolts
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on March 27, 2023, 11:21:45 AMI wonder whether repeated use of the anvil might cause the wood ties to disintegrate. -- Russ

You probably have a point. I googled for wooden anvil stands, and I did indeed find some made from railroad ties. But all the stands had the timbers standing on end. So it would probably be more prototypical to make a stand from four pieces of ties standing on end. Preferably bridge ties as they usually have an almost square cross-section. The stands I found also had metal bands around the ties to keep them together.
Regards, Hauk
--

Ray Dunakin

The colors and textures of the anvil are perfect!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days...." Well, then its about time, isnĀ“t it?
Even if its just a "bump of the thread kind  of post.

First a couple of shots to show were we left off:

Fokus_stack_rett_paa_w.jpg

Fokus_stack_paa_siden_w.jpg

The workshop is a bit bare at the time, but the plan is to include an engine disassembled for a major revision, with parts spread around the shop.
In reality this means building another Westinghouse engine. This build is described in detail in nother theread, so I will limit myself to an image of truck sides.

boggies_W.jpg

Even if I have not done any modelling during the summer, the project has moved a little further as drawings for the workbenches and the gantry crane has surfaced.  The drawings of the crane is especially useful as I otherwise would be forced to just make guesstimates for the lifting trolley. As a certified rivet-counter you all know how much this bugged me.

kran_w.jpg

To be continued.
Regards, Hauk
--

Bill Gill

Good to see you're getting ready for more modeling here.

1-32

Hi Hauk.
Great the side frames are very convincing.
cheers

Barney

Now that's looking good - in fact better than good its excellent !
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

It's been a long time since you updated us on your progress but worth the wait. Everything looks terrific. -- Russ