• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Alternatives to Shapeways?

Started by SandiaPaul, June 26, 2015, 05:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandiaPaul

This is sort of OT...in my business I have taken to using some printed parts, it turns out to be a time/money saver over machining them from solid stock. This has worked out well for about a year and a half. However on 2 recent orders they have failed me in the extreme. Its a long story but it boils down to VERY poor communications and Very delayed delivery to out and out lies from them about when something will be done and shipped. This is not onesie twosie orders either, but orders totaling 1 & 2 thousand dollars a pop. The products are always just fine however.

So....anyone know a good alternative(or two)?

Paul

Paul

Hauk

Quote from: SandiaPaul on June 26, 2015, 05:27:08 AM
This is sort of OT...in my business I have taken to using some printed parts, it turns out to be a time/money saver over machining them from solid stock. This has worked out well for about a year and a half. However on 2 recent orders they have failed me in the extreme. Its a long story but it boils down to VERY poor communications and Very delayed delivery to out and out lies from them about when something will be done and shipped. This is not onesie twosie orders either, but orders totaling 1 & 2 thousand dollars a pop. The products are always just fine however.

So....anyone know a good alternative(or two)?

Paul

For professional jobs not paid out of my own pocket I would take a look at ProtoLabs (formerly FineLine prototyping).
http://www.protolabs.com/stereolithography/
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Chuck Doan

For the most part, I have had good service from Shapeways. It is a far cry from 3-4 years ago, when I could tell the same story as yours. I'm sad to hear they might be slipping.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

SandiaPaul

Hauk,

I have Proto on my list thanks!

Paul(still waiting on my parts that were due to ship on the 18th)
Paul

Bexley

http://lightbeam3d.com/

I've used them before, and gotten good service. Though, it will be expensive. One thing Shapeways has over most everybody else is price.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

Oh, and this place: http://www.click2detail.com/ I've never used them before. Their catalog of stuff seems reasonably priced, but I don't know if that pricing applies to one-off personal things you have printed by them.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

SandiaPaul

Thanks for the ideas...I will have these places quote on my next jobs. Shapeways does provide pretty good value and a wide range of useful materials. If only I could trust their delivery...maybe I just got skunked a couple of times.

Paul
Paul

eTraxx

Huh. I've had nothing but good service with Shapeways. Go figure.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Pete Hamann

Shapeways has been taking longer to fill orders recently...

At work, we use Midwest prototype alot. Super responsive and high quality, but I'm not sure they have some of the higher resolution machines.

Tell them Pete Hamann from Teague sent you!

I've also used Kraftwerx in Texas and iMaterialize with good results.

SandiaPaul

Pete,

Teague as in Walter Dorwin Teague? I'm an ID guy myself....

Thanks for the reference.

Paul
Paul

Pete Hamann

Hi Paul - Yep! As in Walter Dorwin...

I've been here (near Seattle) for about 7 years in the mockups and prototypes group working on aircraft interiors.

How about you?

marc_reusser

For those not familiar with Pete, he has a LOT of experience in the 3D arena....he also doe freelance/contract work for model builders and aftermarket manufacturers, as well as having a small line of his own 3D 1/35 scale parts for order in the "store" at Shapeways.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Pete Hamann

Thanks Marc!

I guess I never did make a proper introduction. Thanks for the endorsement!

Cheers and nice to "meet" you all. :)

Pete

Chuck Doan

Screwed up a part and ordered replacements from Shapeways on July 3rd, and received it on the 8th. FUD material. USPS shipping.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

SandiaPaul

Yesterday I got an email from Shapeways announcing new faster delivery on most materials including a "rush" service for some materials. Looks like they are working on it.

Paul
Paul