• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

hogged out skiff

Started by chester, December 09, 2012, 11:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

Inspired to do something with a few cast metal boats I've had forever by Marc's 'watery grave' scene that he's working on. I decided to simply glue wood directly onto the cast piece (without paying too much attention to prototypical layout of the boards). After gluing and sanding, I did an A&I wash and while it was still wet sprinkled some very fine sawdust from the collection bag of a sander. Let dry and sprayed with an acrylic white. Again let dry and then brushed away the sawdust. Here in Maine the fishermen refer to an old boat laying upside down rotting away as 'hogged out'.

marc_reusser

Very nice coloring and overall effect. I would never have guessed that this had statred out as cast metal piece.  I like the simplicity of the scene as well.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Most adequate in every respect. -- Russ

Wesleybeks

Terrific work Chester.

Any particular reason for using the sawdust instead of the salt to get the chipped/faded paint technique?
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

chester

Thanks all, The chipping that I get with salt, even when I grind it up a bit, seems too large. I have tried this with baking soda and got similar results but the saw dust is even finer and free. This is the other side of the hull with a slightly different look. I should work on this with some chalks to give it a waterline mark.

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Junior

Very nice Chester! The ground work is great too. I´ll guess this is in your usual 1/87 scale ??? ?

Anders

mabloodhound

I keep looking for the wheels. ;D ;D
Very nice and we should see more boat models from you.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

nk

V. nice microscopic work Chester. It looks just like the stuff you see on the side of the road in Maine.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

modelico

Reallly mind-boggling. :o It seems easy after refered, but it implies deep techniques knowledge.
Congratulations on it!!
Artificial intelligence is not a substitute for natural stupidity

TRAINS1941

A departure from wheels.  Beautifully done.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin