• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Vallejo gloss spray

Started by SandiaPaul, March 04, 2023, 02:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

That turned out reasonably well, didn't it? -- Russ

Lawton Maner

Bill:
Check out the new lower cost air brushes which are cross overs from women's makeup.  They are self contained and charge with a USB cord plugged into a phone charger.  Not super fine spray, but good enough for general use.  Buy SWMBA one for her use and buy yourself one and she'll love how easy it is to apply makeup and not notice that you are using one in the man cave.

SandiaPaul

This discussion is morphing a little from my original question which is fine by me so I thought I would link to this excellent document. If you haven't seen and downloaded this, it is great source of information:
https://www.testors.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/Testors/ebook/MRH-Acrylic-painting-guide-post-Floquil-Portrait.ashx
Paul

Bill Gill

Paul,
Looking back, your original question was how to remove Vallejo gloss spray. I apologize for diverting your thread away from that.

Lawrence's first reply about using iso-propanol has worked for me to remove a variety of acrylic finishes, but I have never used that Vallejo spray so I can only suspect that the alcohol will work on it too. I've used 91% iso-propnol and let the piece soak,sometimes 10-15 minutes was enough. Some paints required overnight, followed by scrubbing with a toothbrush followed by more soaking and scrubbing. Eventually the paint did sluff off with no detectable damage to the styrene.

Covid 19 has raised the price of Iso-propanol pretty much everywhere, but a pint bottle is still cheaper than a large volume of a plastic safe stripper if you aren't going to be using a lot of it.

SandiaPaul

I did get the paint off with IPA in an ultrasonic, primed it today with Tamiya gray primer. Seems ok, no worries about thread drift, maybe we all learned something.
Paul