• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

"Eisenbahnromantik"

Started by Dirky, June 30, 2013, 02:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirky

Been away from this forum way too long.  :(

About 2 years ago I stopped H0-railroading and stepped into the world of "Spur 1". Rather quickly, I found myself building signal boxes and railway stations for other people. That side activity keeps me quite busy but in the meantime I found some time to build something for my own...

For the design of this Signal box I was inspired by Pit-Peg, a draftsman who drew romantik modelrailway scenes back in the 70-ties/80-ties. This building got the name "Stellwerk Sighelsheim", a fake name that refers to the place I live, "Zegelsem"...

I will never be able to finish the buildings I make to the standards of the great masters here, but I'll do my best...

Thanks for watching,

Ray Dunakin

That looks great to me! What scale is it? I'm not familiar with Spur 1.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Welcome back and thanks for posting this. I like the character of the structure, and a clean build. What materials did you use?

As a critique; Maybe a bit more and subtle weathering at key areas such as some of the locations where the other bracing timbers meet the walls, where the light is attached, and on the stucco along it's bottom edges, where it meets the timbers, and water and grime would naturally accumulate......and maybe a bit more grey/brown/blackstaining along the bottom edge of the structure...again, where moisture and grime would accumulate causing discoloration.....I only mention this, because the green and black/grey stains area strong contrast against the white stucco, and currently they feel a bit spotty, and ause ones eye to jump around..adding the above might tie everything together a bit more, and make the eye flow across the structure.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Nice job. And if you follow Marc's advice it will be an even nicer job.

Ray, "Spur 1" means Gauge One, or 1:32 scale on 45mm (LGB) track.

Russ

Dirky

Thanks...
For sure I will follow Marc's advice! That's why I'm back... :)

Materials:
Mostly laser-cut MDF 3mm and some 1mm. Cardboard of 0.4mm for windows. FoamPVC 1mm for doors...

The most difficult part was building up the timberwalls of the top floor. I had to shape MDF to give it the look of real timber.

There are things, like the rooftiles, that could have been better if I layed them piece by piece instead of "rooftile-strips" but unfortunately I cannot afford longer building time...

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Dirky

And the "Sighelsheim"- story continues:

All the same techniques and of course, the same limitations...

Chuck Doan

Very impressive! That must be quite a large model.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

Guy Milh(imeter)

heel erg mooi Dirky !!
Groeten uit Bredene  ;D

Barney

Welcome back - lovely models - so what sort of size would we be looking at for the signal box/tower
Barney

Dirky

Thanks for the comments!
The Signal box is about 35cm in height. The "Brückenstellwerk" is 90cm wide and spans 4 tracks.

The reason I've been away from this forum too long is quite simple; I want to make as beautiful things as what I'm seeing here and there's no time to do that. Allthough, I did experiment to make a worn down version of the signal box and I am quite happy with the result so far. But as always, please comment! I need to learn more...

Ray Dunakin

The cracked and stained stucco looks quite good.

Ray Dunakin's World