• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

WD Titan 10-20 HP Tractor in 1/35th

Started by Barney, February 18, 2015, 01:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Many of these tractors sent to the UK in the 1st WW most went to the Farming community used by the  newly formed
"Land Girls" and others after WD trials to the front lines in France .The War Department had some modifications and minor alterations which included heavy duty wheels front and rear - chain guards - a non adjustable width to the front track.the Titan Tractor proved to be a reliable piece of equipment used by the army and airforce.

Hosted on Fotki

The rear wheels took five attempts to create a finer look to the rims and spokes

Hosted on Fotki

Barney

The heavy duty type wheels (WD type ) had an inner rims and traction type plates (strakes) the fronts where normally the cast type with a centre band which enabled the tractor to travel on roads The cast type being available for a Heavy duty type wheel  although other options were available I went for the cast one The Grandt Line one being the right size and saved me a headache !
The Chassis a headache I could have done without  (8 attempts ) was Evergreen H column bent with the use of LEGO template  and a hair dryer - Fuel and water tank are from acrylic rod
Barney
taking the tablets
Hosted on Fotki

Barney

The LEGO bender - when the H column was removed from the "bender" the back flange was removed
Hosted on Fotki

Ray Dunakin

Cool project!

Did you bend the H column by hand to fit into the jig, then use heat to set it? Or did you heat it, and then bend it to fit the jig?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mr Potato Head

Barney
that is a fantastic bending jig! very innovative! The Titan is also a great project! We have thousands of them rotting away in Idaho. There is a new interactive Museum coming to Boise it's called JUMP and it the personal collection of J.R.Simplot, the name may not roll off the tongue for most people but good Ol J.R is Mr. Idaho, he's the man behind the World famous frozen French fry, he made it possible for Ray Kroc to build McDonald's empire.
I have seen some of his restored collection and they as perfect as when they rolled off the assembly  line
Great start, keep the pictures coming
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

finescalerr

Chuck Doan

Its all good. That use of Lego's is inspired!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Gordon Ferguson

Can I book a lesson on how you built those wheels in March, Barney

That "silver" last year did really irritate you , didn't it  ;D

with good reason
Gordon

Barney

Ray - a bit of heat on the H columns at the first stage and they were rolled over a piece of 1in tube to get a rough shape then put in the "LEGO BENDER" with plenty of heat then left for a bit to set in the bender - when they were removed they finely came to the shape I required and a shout of "Eureka" was herd around the neighbourhood followed by "by jove I think he's done it" to end the night a nice pint of liquid refreshment the sort that goes to all parts of ones body
Barney
its the little things in life they please me !!

finescalerr

Then, as I understand it, an adult beverage is an integral part of the process .... -- Russ

Barney

A rolling chassis at last - chain guards fitted - the War Department had no faith in good old
simple engineering and specified chain guards should be fitted and uprated wheels on the military version - went for the spoked front wheels in the end but have to handle carefully spokes keep bending - water tank (acrylic rod trial fit)
Barney

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Ditto and ditto.

You're building two models? Are you quite mad?

Russ

Bill Gill

Barney, Excellent models (this one and your other thread too).
Heating and bending styrene is something I have very limited experience with and most of that has been less than successful. Can you expand a little on "a bit of heat" and "plenty of heat" - what do you use for heat source? candle, heat gun, hot water, lightbulb?