• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarter Gauger 48

Quote from: Bill Gill on August 11, 2016, 03:54:03 AM
A peek at Wikipedia and a couple other sites indicated that the name "Orient Express" or slight variants, was used concurrently for several different routes and that the route and rolling stock changed frequently, that it stopped serving Istanbul in 1977 and that the last Paris to Vienna train was in 2007. The route was shortened again and the last train ran in 2009 and the route was removed from European timetables.

The original link with the photos above said:
"There are only a couple of these beauties left in the world. One, for example, was repurposed into hotel suites in Venice-Simplon Orient Express. The other, the one you'll see in the pictures below, stands dormant in Belgium, untouched from its last trip in December of 2009."
That is confusing and probably not correct. That just does not look like only seven years of decay.

The Venice-Simplon (now Belmond) Orient Express currently operates a weekly luxury train between Venice and London using restored 1920-30s carriages, but I don't think the carriages are from an older Orient Express.

Good information Bill,  Seems around the same time conflicts increased in areas that the OE went through, it 's downfall increased also'...That photo does look more like an aged Belgium train though'..

Design-HSB

for more information on the Orient Express looks here.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Quarter Gauger 48

Quote from: Design-HSB on August 12, 2016, 12:13:00 AM
for more information on the Orient Express looks here.

Thanks Helmut, very interesting history of a great RY.  That was a quite a menu on their first run in the late 1800s.  I would think the US Railways most likely got some of their ideas for long distance trains from the
Orient Express...

Allan G

These are from Wilson, KS. I'm not sure if the mortar lines were painted a dark color.

Allan G

One more from Wilson, KS

1-32

hi all have not done this for a while-the chain house.

Barney

The Chain house - very interesting this sort of thing would give quite a headache to model !
Barney

1-32

hi barney.
i really dont think it is possible just too much random clutter.
the chain house is a riggers hire shop that has been family owned for 120 years.great place so much stuff so much dust.the owner is a 64 year old lady,very old school and a true horse trader i think i will marry her just for the stuff.
cheers

Quarter Gauger 48

Wow, that is a lot of block and tackle'... :o

1-32

yes sir.
i will post more pictures what is special is the rooms full of stuff that do not comply with modern standards like the ropes.
cheers

1-32

more the chain house.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Posted to Facebook ..

Built by Fowler in 1877. The 12 foot wheels were used to try and reduce ground pressure but was to clumsy and had to go back to 7 foot wheels
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

1-32

hi all .just wandering around western Sydney yesterday,and this scene took my interest.very hot and humid-34 degrees[about 98 ]and about 90 percent humidity yes tell me about it.this area is populated and is very flat it is subject to flash flooding.great contrasts between concrete water and growth.
cheers.

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: 1-32 on January 14, 2017, 04:08:45 PM
great contrasts between concrete water and growth.

I agree, a subtle yet interesting scene.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World