• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Dirty Dog

Started by 1-32, February 25, 2019, 04:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

morning.
I had to Google Toonerville Trolley comics -I like the driver with the beard it reminded me of a Disney character.
The pipes, fiddly but there are a lot of sizes which will make it a bit easier the scene that I see -pipes on wood stacked .broken pipes and sand on the floor, we will see
cheers.

Lawton Maner

Maybe you need to add a door with a crescent moon cut into it to make Russ feel at home.

I'll start for the corner now.

finescalerr

Lawton, you are now in deep trouble. -- Russ

Hydrostat

Kim,

I like your loco very much. It has a lot of character and looks very convincing. And so the pantograph does.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that turned out great! Lots of character in that little loco.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

cheers everybody for the positive feedback.
Kim

Peter_T1958

Stop! Sorry, I have missed the opportunity to congratulate you to such a harmonious work. I especially like the paint job on your little loco!

Cheers, Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

Kim, shoot another photo or two of the trolley and get closer if you can. I want a better look at that little gem. -- Russ

shitao

Hello Kim

I checked all your work here at the forum. Really outstanding!
Me personally I appriciate most is that you use cheap materials without expensive machine tools to build your things.
All looks very handmade. And this is in my eyes the key of the realisme you achieve.
It is more than just a simple reproduction of the reality. All your work has this little touch of personality.
Great!
Greetings from Switzerland

Thomas

Barney

its got character - very nice piece of work
Barney 

1-32

hi All.
here are 4 more photos,what I need to add is a string to pull the overheads up and down and a bit of lettering.
I think that the most popular models in all the subjects are scale reproductions.with the arrival of more technology  a greater amount of detail is possible .most of the time I am ok with that i look at it as a fusion of technology and art especially if they are fully working models that are accurate representations of history.
With me, I make lots of mistakes and my feeble attempts to cover up my mistakes give it a lot of character,  machines, if programmed properly, do not make mistakes my stuff is all built without proper plans I make it all up it is a lie.
the fusion to me is producing a standard range of narrow gauge couplers and some other items that are hard to make properly by hands, graphics transmissions.
cheers Kim.

finescalerr

Thanks for the extra photos, Kim. And I have a few thoughts:

First, as I have said before, your models are like works of art. While they may not be perfect replicas, they are very close and create the right impression and have more charm and character than a perfect machine-made model. (Incidentally, I bet I make more mistakes than you do.)

Second, although maybe this belongs in the 3-D printing thread--but you brought it up, I saw 1:22.6 scale prints from a Formlabs printer last Monday and they are gorgeous--much cleaner and of higher resolution than stuff I've seen from Shapeways. Without any cleanup at all they look like molded styrene and the resolution goes down to 25 microns, just under 0.001-inch. The method the printer uses is "stereolithography" and the price for a compete setup with some packs of resin is probably about U.S. $5,000. A friend has one.

So, for those who want 3-D parts in almost any scale, maybe we need to find a guy with a Formlabs printer and learn to draw with SketchUp.

As for your own models, Kim, forget the printer and keep doing what you're doing. It is most adequate.

Russ

Design-HSB

HI Kim,
as a Discoverer of the Model, I would also have liked to have recreated this lovely Role model. Only I want to stick with my Klosterstollen Model and not get lost in too many Projects. That's why I'm glad that you created such an irritating Model with my Suggestion.

Russ,
But what is possible with 3D Printing we could also see at the Lamps of my BBA, for which Volker drew me the Template.

But At the Moment I will still stick with my Models, which I can largely create from Milling Parts. But Would like To relearn the 3D Sign with up-to-date software in order to be able to realize Transactions, for Example.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Barney

Kim - I call it "Freelance Prototype" modelling -  It looks like the prototype or the real thing But it has a few deviations or
modifications many of which happened through its life time using bits and pieces around the work-shop at the time - I find it makes the finished job look more interesting and justifications of this sort of thing more than often happened in real life !!
especially in "backwoods" areas Normally when equipment has been sold and resold to various owners
The things I have seen done on vehicles /tractors Narrow gauge locos /steam engines is quite unbelievable and would make the Health and safety people shudder ! and to end its amazing what a roll of black tape (the old type not the plastic type) a hammer
and an old bean can do to get you home !! all part of the essential tool kit never leave home with out it !
Barney   

1-32

Hi, all this barge I think has been posted before but with another paint job. last week I redid it and has been photographed with a decent camera, not great but much better than mine. first texture and a rough job, using an airbrush knock the top off the color then detail with watercolors.
cheers.