• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A tale of two Dolbeers

Started by lab-dad, March 22, 2009, 10:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Finally got my lazy butt back to the modeling bench and started the two Dolbeer kits I have.

One is an old CHB and the other is the Sierra West kit.
The CHB has wood skids and everything else is Cerrobend (sp?)
The SW uses resin for the skids, boiler, water tank and large gear housing.
The wood skids were treated with several coats of silverwood and powders.
The metal pieces were treated with blacken it and the usual powders.
The resin was painted with floquil colors and also received some powders.
Washes still to come with oils.

Since the NBW's are cast on the sled on the SW I made a "stencil" so I could paint them easier.

Progress so far;

more soon,
Marty

shropshire lad

So , Marty , what you are saying is that one of those skids is resin and one is wood . Well , I think that the one on the left is definitely the wooden one ,and the one on the right is resin . But then again , the one on the left could be the resin one and the one on the right is wood . Oh , I give up . They both look good !

Then again , they both could be wood and you're not telling us the truth ,

Nick

TRAINS1941

Nick your right.  But it could be trick photography.  You know he's getting pretty good with the camera!!!

Will the real woody please stand up!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

John McGuyer

You really nailed the wood. Can't tell by that at all. The boiler on the right in the top photo looks more rusted and on the left in the bottom photo. Are you being sneaky?

John

marc_reusser

Very nicly done. Glad to see you back at the bench....looking forward to your progress on these.
Clecer idea to use a stencil foor the NBWs.  Are you then airbrushing them?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

PuckHog

They both look great, Marty,  good to see more of your work.  Looking foward to your progress on this build as the Dolbeer has long been a farovite.....Randy

michael mott

I must echo the comments they look great Marty.

Michael

lucas gargoloff

Nice to see you at work again Marty!! I love donkeys and will waiting for more pics soon.
Lucas Gargoloff - Argentina

lab-dad

Here is your weekly update.
Just plugging along.
Two days off work due to an upper respiratory infection sure helped move these along ;)
Couldn't decide which one I liked best so here is all three.
Still lots of detailing to do and obviously a few more bits to go on the Sierra West one.
Also I do not like the lack of mounting for the water tank.
I'm going to do something........
-Marty

TRAINS1941

-MJ

Wow I'll have to make up my mind on which I like better after careful study!!  They both look to be up to expectations!!  As usual you didn't disappoint me.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

PuckHog

Marty,  Thanks for the update,  they are looking great!!!   Randy

finescalerr

Marty, if that is how your models turn out when your are sick I hesitate to think how good they will look when you are feeling better! -- Russ

lucas gargoloff

Awesome work Marty!!! DonĀ“t ever give up, and keep showing your excellent work, is very helpfull!!  ;)
Lucas Gargoloff - Argentina

shropshire lad

Marty ,

Well , you've done a damn fine job on those Dolbeers and if I didn't already know which was which, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart . They almost make me want to phone Brett and get him to send me another kit so that I can do it again  properly ... but not quite !

" Couldn't decide which one I like best , so here is ( that should read , here are) all three ". I know my maths isn't that good , but I could only count two Dolbeers , where's the third ? Are you secret doing one of Keith Wiseman's versions as well and keeping quiet about it ?

" Upper respiratory infection" ? Have you been inhaling things that you shouldn't ? Sniffing Diosol is not big and it is not clever , so don't do it !
    Hope you are recovered and back to work,

Nick

jacq01

Marty,

great to see some CHB dolbeers built up.

This model pulled me over the line to start a logging layout and  consequentely the sawmill diorama.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.