• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

NZR open in 9mm:ft

Started by Lawrence@NZFinescale, November 12, 2022, 01:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence@NZFinescale

This is a bit of a digression from my usual 1:64 efforts.

A short run kit for my 9mm scale (1:34) brethren and a bit of a test piece for me.

The wagon body is a 3d print, the underframe etched brass and various cast brass/3d printed details. Less than a day to build the thing, weeks to paint.  I learnt a lot with this model and some things worked better than others.  While I'm happy with it overall I can't hold it up as an especially exemplary example of finishing as some of the learning was done the hard way, and I could certainly improve a few areas. The base coat especially proved to be inadequately robust and, as I wasn't prepared to strip and redo, this did cause a few issues.

Practically, the wagon runs on ball races and has functional leaf spring suspension hidden behind the solebars. The axleboxes float in the horns as they should.  The brakes float with the axleboxes (which isn't right of course), but it means the clearances are preserved during suspension movement and thus running is not compromised.

Sidechain hooks and chain are printed in one 'piece' but have separate links.  Axleboxes have the journal dimensions legibly embossed into the top face, which is pretty amazing in this scale.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Barney

Looks nice and nice fine detail - what track gauge does that work out to - is the track of the shelf type -
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Track gauge is 32mm.  That's a bit of PECO O gauge - which is totally wrong for this model, other than being the correct gauge.

I don't model 9mm as a rule, so don't actually have anything nicer to photograph on.  Although to be honest a plain background with stock track keeps the focus on the model rather than the scene which is the point here.  I did contemplate working up a little photographic piece, but I need to get back to the main event and leave this distraction behind :-).
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Stuart

Looks good from where I am sitting.

Stuart

finescalerr

I have no idea what kind of weathering you had in mind so I evaluate at the model for what it is: Superb, with very good weathering. In other words it is of sufficient quality for this forum. -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

That's a relief Russ.  I'd feared being pilloried or worse :-)
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

I would be happy to hang you by your thumbs, Lawrence, but don't expect me to fly to New Zealand to do it. You'll have to come here. Otherwise, just accept our compliments, stop nitpicking your work, and go about your business in an orderly or, if you prefer, disorderly manner. -- Russ

Barney

Go for it young man !  and just keep sending this lovely stuff to us
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Despite whatever difficulties you had with it, it looks great to me!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World