• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Retrospective

Started by Lawrence@NZFinescale, June 26, 2022, 01:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence@NZFinescale

I thought I'd share some pics of various models done over the last few years.  These don't fit my Rewanui thread and are generally one off projects, challenges, commissions etc.

Some of these have been published elsewhere or are buried in my website, but are probably new to most here.

First up is a semaphore signal in 9mm:ft - 1:34.  This is fully lit and operates mechanically as the original. The woodwork is styrene with the metalwork cast and etched brass.  Pattern work was off the original NZR drawings of McKenzie and Holland pattern somersault signals.  I've manufactured kits for these signals in both 1:64 and 9mm.  They were prompted by a project now abandoned. Rewanui did not have signals, which is a disappointment as I'm a semaphore fan. My signal models are therefore orphans at the moment.

Original pattern work for this was done pre-3D printers, but this example was done after I had my first printer and some detail bits here are 3d prints. 

As a commission, it was presented in pristine condition but it would have been fun to weather.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Lawrence@NZFinescale

And some more
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Barney

Superb bit of reality - excellent
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Those are amazing! I always enjoy seeing your signals. The prototypes are so interesting, and you've replicated them perfectly.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

All in all, not bad. -- Russ

Bill Gill

I don't see any thing that gives away those are model photographs.
How did you do the decorative finials on top?

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Thanks Bill

Originally I hand made the finial patterns in brass, which were fine.  By the time this signal was done they would have been digital.  Printed in a castable resin and then into brass.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

1-32

Beautiful work Lawrence is good to see the samples of other signal fans.
cheers Kim

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Moving on to other things, the 1930s Austin in 1:64.

This was one of those challenge projects that I got into shortly after getting my first 3d printer.  I purchased the digital file, but as supplied it was intended for graphics use rather than printing and so was a lot of work to get into solid form.  Some parts were completely redrawn and others reworked after comments on version 1 from a chap in Australia who owns one. You can see how the nose has been remodelled between the green and the blue models.

The whole thing is 3d printed, including a detailed interior.  Glazing is overhead transparency material - remember that?

Somewhat ironically, my later printers are much better than the old one in many ways, but they cannot do those spoked wheels. 
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

Good heavens, Lawrence, you continue to astound! -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Trying to work out if that's a higher accolade the 'satisfactory' or not!  :D
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

Nope. But it ain't bad. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Beautiful work!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

fspg2

It's great to see, which of course also interests me, is how you do it.
Frithjof

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: fspg2 on June 29, 2022, 11:32:51 AMIt's great to see, which of course also interests me, is how you do it.

I don't have any pics, but the body shell is one piece.  The chassis, seats, wings etc are another.  Rear bumper, wheels etc are separate too.  This was very much an exercise in can I do it, and how?  I had a friend making vehicles by laboriously modifying diecasts and I wanted to find a different means to scale vehicles.

Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com