• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Mill at Jacobs Creek

Started by Barney, January 10, 2022, 12:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Holy carp, that is a lot of very excellent work!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Rail and Tie

Holy crap on a cracker!  I too missed all the work going on in this thread in such a short time. That is impressive scratch building.
Cheers!
Darryl

"Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

http://www.interactionhobbies.com
http://www.facebook.com/railandtie

Barney

After 5 attempts and a change in scale - I surrender and I need to hang up my tools (not for long I hope) The Mill just did not work out for me even after trying different versions - so its into the reclaiming wood yard and re-think Some rough shots of the last version below
Barney
at rest !!
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

Back Soon  - revitalised and going for it !!
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Bill Gill

Barney, Glad to see your post that you're going for it! Gremlins be gone!

For a number of...years there were various temporary small mockup sawmills on my layout. They were roughly represented by a mix of Legos and Duplos. Somehow none of them were a convincing scene. Reluctantly I quit and turned the area into a pulpwood loading spot.
I'll be watching when you return from your fishing expedition!

Lawton Maner

In my part of Virginia it is the season for Azaleas to bloom and June will be the time to trim them back.  Then it will be pulpwood harvesting time.  In O scale, the bark gives a nice texture to the bolts representing hardwood pulp.  February was the season to harvest Crepe Myrtle for pulp and saw timber.  After cutting and allowing to air dry for a month or more, once my wife is out for a day, I bake the new pieces in the oven to kill off any unwanted critters.

The East Broad Top RR once had a freight shed in Robertsdale, Pa where the foundation was portions of bark on tree trunks.  Probably White Oak or Locust timber.  When building my model of it I reached for Dogwood twigs to represent the footings even though you cannot see them under the finished model.

Now if someone can suggest a suitable raw material to use for Tanbark so that I can fill a model of an EBT car hauling bark to a tannery.

o

finescalerr

Barney, what don't you like about the previous iterations of the sawmill? The craftsmanship and basic coloring are, as always, first rate. So is it the basically rectangular footprint or something else?" -- Russ

Barney

I got a few things wrong - and I could not live with it - also got a bit carried away with the Phillips Brothers Mill which is a sizeable mill - wanted more of the small size with less complications - photo below
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Before I start the Finish I will see if it works !!!!!!!
Barney BF2B862E-2B34-48DD-97D8-A67DF53A7845_1_201_a copy.jpeg
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Well it appeared to work - swift drink now required and continue after dinner feeding time
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Barney

After being inspired by photos by Nick of smaller Saw Mills and a quote from Bill" Gremlins Begone"
decided to start another saw mill project
Barney
yes NICK was let out from his corner for the day
Stuart McPherson