• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35th Wilford power shovel B

Started by Bernhard, December 28, 2021, 07:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sami

Your work is very well done for a neat result.

finescalerr

An excellent start. Like Frithjof, I also wondered why you used Loctite. (It seems like a good idea.) -- Russ

1-32

Good morning Bernard.
Happy New Year to you and your family.
Yes just echoing the rest of the comments. a very complex project a  very well done miniture.I particularly like the rivets a small item that is often not done well.
All the best Kim

Bill Gill

You are building another interesting, complicated machine.

Bernhard

Thanks guys for your appreciation and for your interest.
There are several ways to assemble structures with many parts. One is brazing and soldering. But I have not yet dared to braze, because I fear that the small parts warp or even burn. I therefore always solder the basic structure, so that it has enough stability. The remaining small parts are then glued with 2-component glue (or Loctite).

Bernhard

fspg2

Hallo Bernhard,

For such cases, a resistance solder is very helpful.
Otherwise, I secure neighboring places with toothpaste. After soldering, everything is rinsed with water and soap.
Frithjof

Bernhard

Fortunately, I also have the holy grail of soldering technology, a resistor soldering unit. But the toothpaste is a good hint, I have never tried that. Thank you.

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

As always, I am in awe of this stunning level of precision work!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Just amazing - so fine and precise - and a nice unusual model to build
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Hydrostat

Bernhard,
I'm pretty speechless. What kind of glue do you use to fix the 3D prints to the brass frame?

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bernhard

Volker, I normally use Araldite Rapid. It sticks very well, but in an emergency the parts can be removed without damage with a little care.
For very small parts, such as fake screw heads, I use CA instant glue.

Bernhard

Bernhard

Thank you for your interest.

The next subassembly are the track units.
This is what the original looks like, ...
(Image: Ray Dunakin)

Bernhard

... and this is the design for the model.

Bernhard

The basic bodies of the two crawler tracks are made of solid material.

Bernhard

The bearings for the idlers are soldered together in a simple jig, then cut to the correct length.