• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Nobby Clarks Spares or repairs Emporium

Started by Barney, October 03, 2021, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

Start of the clapped out vertical boiler gear driven loco for the scrap yard
Barney
bad night with the photos   
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Looking good. The gear driven loco sounds interesting.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

You might have had trouble resizing the photos but nothing went wrong with your modeling! -- Russ

Craig

Hauk

Looking good!
Have you said anything about your painting techniques in any of your threads on this forum?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

fspg2

QuoteHave you said anything about your painting techniques in any of your threads on this forum?

Yes Barney, please tell us how you made the rusting so beautiful!
Frithjof

Bernhard

Good start. I am already very curious about the finished model

Bernhard

Barney

Rust is beautiful unless your car has just failed its MOT - then it becomes a headache !! modelling rust it is an art form - my rust technics are basic -
First (and these are my thoughts) is to understand rust - rust normally comes from beneath the paint due to damage to the underside of lets say a car wing or panel
it only appears on top of metal if the panel has been scratched or dented or if it is bare metal like rails or unpainted panels
Then there is types of rust - eg overnight rust on bare metal or newish metal see the boiler chimney and the new fire box door its normally quite flat in texture with an orange tinge to it  then you get the corrosive type normally  comes through from the inside off panels /sills and outrigger chassis members - this has texture and its darker in colour see the drain pipe looks like it had no primer and the paint bubbles up and flakes off .
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

The best bet is to look at the experts and ideas first up is our Chucks methods real amazing stuff and with step by step instructions on his Fotki site - another good one is Rinaldi Studio Press SMO2 -S-65  City tractor - a very nice published small book with several versions of  weathering - there are many more all with there own versions even on this forum years back
Now my version don't get to excited it don't always work !!
If the object is completely rusty - spray an undercoat of rust (enamel paints work best for this ) then a couple of hair spray coats -the last one sprinkle fine salt if you want a patchy look with rust coming through - when dry spray a coat of acrylic paint on top let dry and then go over it with a small stumpy  brush with water scrubbing the edges first  or basically follow the the hair spray techniques of the "experts" I finish off with brushing weathering powders in the corners and crevices or dry brush some metal coat on some surfaces - you always get a few oily /shiny bolts !
Its all a matter of observation of the real thing-and trying out different ways on practice pieces  - - One day Im going to write a book of RUST - ITS ON MY BUCKET LIST
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Bernhard

Thanks for this tutorial. You can always find interesting tips here.

Bernhard