• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35th Hudson rail tractor

Started by Bernhard, March 03, 2021, 07:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

The two roof supports are made of bent angle sections 1.5 x 1.5 x 0.25 mm.

Bernhard

First I tried to bend an angle section accordingly. Although I have soft annealed it, unfortunately an impossible undertaking.
I therefore milled out the supports from 1.5 mm thick brass sheet. This is no problem with a CNC machine, but a bit of a challenge with a hand-operated machine.
The raw material is screwed onto an MDF board mounted on the rotary table.

Bernhard

The first step is to mill the outer contour with the large radius at the top. The small corner radii cannot be machined. They must be filed at the very end.

Bernhard

Then the angle section is milled with a wall thickness of 0.25 mm. I was not sure whether the vertical legs would be deformed during milling. I therefore supported them on all three sides with shaped pieces made of Pertinax.

Bernhard

Next, the inner contour of the support is milled. Three thin webs remain to hold the workpiece still in the plate.

Bernhard

Then carefully detach the support from the plate, and file the outer radii. And the parts are ready!

Bernhard

The canopy must be bent to fit the supports exactly.

Bernhard

This is only possible with a corresponding jig. This is milled from a plastic block.

Bernhard

Then the large radius is turned on.

Bernhard

The small corner radii can neither be milled nor turned. I therefore milled a shoulder and inserted a suitable round bar into it.

Bernhard

Then the sheet is carefully bent over the gauge. This is relative ease if the sheet is annealed several times and reshaped somewhat by hand.

Bernhard

The end faces are reworked on the disc sander.

Bernhard

The long sides are cut to size with a circular saw blade.

Bernhard

And with that, the canopy is ready.

Bernhard

The side panels are etched and just need to be bent.