• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

You not only "fixed" a problem, you improved it by emulating that corrugated extension. -- Russ

1-32

Afternoon everybody all good out there?
As always thank you for your interest, moving on.
I really have been getting stuck into the ore loader and am sketching it up, a lot of changes but it fits my space.
To work out my space remember that I work without measurements. they are.
A sight line in scale from the top of the existing 2 buildings gives me a height of 360 mm or 1 foot and one-half inches.
The plan size or footprint is 170 mm wide-say 7 inches and 150 mm deep say 6 inches.
I have divided the building into sections. Ground-level loading bay over 2 lines with enough height to run a loco through.1st-floor bin .2 floor chute and the top floor conveyor belt.
I will be built hard against the back scene.
Seeing a few of you are getting into printing how about slinging me a few free samples, I will give you a huge thanks online. What I would not mind is a selection of industrial lampshades and the ore shute doors in either 1-35 scale or 1-32 .1-35 would be better if in the future you wanted to sell the. Don't worry I will paint them and pay for postage
These 3 pictures are again the wooden ore loader, my sketch up and a good reference of the top of the conveyor.
cheers

Design-HSB

Hello Kim, if I see this correctly in the original there are standard gauge cars. Wouldn't that have to be much higher? However, if you want to be inspired more for the loading system of your light railway, the role model can also be a very good inspiration.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bill Gill

it's going to be a good looking loader (if it stands up  :D)

1-32

Morning Helmut and Bill.
Good comment Helmut the standard gauge in this area is 3 foot 6 inches 1050 mm .In Australia, we don't have a uniform railway system always a point of conversation
. But with my loader, the loading height is decided by the maximum height of my locoes .I will build some new ore cars but I am wondering about the distance the coal would drop and whether it would cause any damage did they have a chute that could be folded up when the loco passes underneath.?
Bill the personality of the building is the lean but one of the difficult details is the twists on the posts.
cheers.

Design-HSB

Kim, I saw the two outside buffers because it was clear to me that this is not a light rail.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

1-32

Hi Helmut.
yes, you observed well This is Queensland Railways standard coal wagon.
Queensland in Northern Eastern Australia is my favorite place and is where all my current modeling is based. They built a beautiful railway in spectacular tropical surrounds.
cheers

Lawton Maner

As the prototype was for gravel which is a much less delicate product the drop is not a problem.  In many American loaders there is a chute which is used to fill the cars, not a hard thing to add and will add to the rustic look of the finished model.  It would move up and down adding interest.

1-32

Hi Lawton.
Acland was an old-style coal mine, black gold its product was highly sought after. Their main customer was the railways its very low ash content made it a viable business even though its output was low. After its closure, it became a mining Museum and this closed in 2000. The property was bought by the state government and given a high heritage classification.
Fast forward to today the area was granted a 99-year mining lease to the New Hope mining group old school miners, the mine and a few other buildings survived but the rest of the town was demolished to make way for a series of open-pit coal mines.
As you can imagine this did not go down without attracting attention on of the reason that New Hope is not talking apart from the controversy with coal it also destroying very good farming land.
The fence around the mine site is more for public safety Acland is falling down skilled carpenters helped with structural steel could do a great job but I feel that they will just walk away happens all the time..
My model is a 2 foot or 600 mm railway and even though it is a character I want to capture the personality.
Lawton, I am no expert but the drop from the ore gates into the wagons could damage the wagons don't you think? The distance is about 8 feet-2.4 and yes a nice worn flip-down chute would help to cushion the drop .Looking at details of the rest of the structure they have used a lot of roofing metal to covey areas and a version of this in the loading area would be appropriate.
cheers

1-32

Evening all.
As always wishing you all the very best of health.
Moving along with the Acland coal loader so far is taking up a huge amount of time.
As you can see I build these scale cardboard mock-ups to work out the proportions it changes from one to the next.
But is slowly heading in the right direction the hard bit is to get it to fit my space a couple more of these mockups then we will move on the next step.
cheers .
kim.

1-32

Here we go.
My list of must-do builds is growing.

Barney

It just gets better -
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Another great looking old building!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Afternoon all.
Barney and Ray cheer.
Moving along I have worked out enough in a rough form to start the detailed build, it works.
Picture 1 is a general elevation at first I thought it was going to be 360 mm heigh but it is 290 mm heigh-1 foot 2 inches and around 11 inches. It fits hard against the back scene so the hard part was to get it transparent and a feeling of mass.
Picture 2 a size comparison.
And picture 3 its position in the yard this module size is 1020 mm long by 350 mm wide or 3 foot 4 inches by 1 foot 2 inches.
cheers

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World