• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Another On30 Davenport

Started by Ken Hamilton, July 03, 2010, 08:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Hamilton

Thanks, guys.
Rick, a flathead would certainly have been easier to wrap around the motor cover and would
provide a lower profile, but I wanted to try a 4-banger (...I like those little motors!).  However,
looking at it now, the in-line motor my indeed be sticking up too far, so I might end up
replacing what I've done with a flathead.  This is a seat-of-the-pants project that's
subject to change mid-stream and I can always use the 4-banger for something else down the road.
(....I still like the "flame & lakers" approach.....)
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Frederic Testard

In any case, this engine is a beauty, Ken.
Frederic Testard

LeOn3

Ken, where do you get the spark plugs? Or is it scratch built.
I am still trying to build a brookville in 1:35 and I am searching how to make an engine, instead of using the hood for hiding the motor of the model

Leon

Ken Hamilton

Leon, the sparkplugs are metal castings from "R&D Unique", which unfortunately is out of business.
I believe some other model car aftermarket guys are making some, though.  I'll see what I can dig up.

After much pondering, which was stalling the project to almost a complete standstill, I decided to bite
the bullet, roll up my sleeves,knuckle down (and whatever other cliches apply) and settle on a direction...
...which is this:

I dug out a Lindeberg 1/25th scale '32 Ford pickup, cut down the grill, cut and narrowed the cowl,
cut one of the kit's bucket seats and use this as a starting point.

(Somewhat) high sides should cover what I need to cover and still give the look of an open motor. 
The '32 grill will set the timeline a little later than I would've liked, but that will also justify the
severe weathering on the Lumber Stacker that this will be sitting near on the diorama.

It's not exactly the look I was after, but it's close enough for my first Critter...and I can tell there
WILL be more!  Once the first completedmodel is under my belt I'll be less hesitant to jump in and
play harder next time!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

finescalerr

Stand by, folks. Here he goes again! -- Russ

gnichols

Ken,
  Glad you have a direction now!  I really like the looks of it with the Lindberg parts... but I'm sure if you check the box you'll see it's a 34 Ford kit.  I know you know that, but I couldn't resist one small jab.  Any plans for stuff like... a roof?  Hood or open motor? (please no sides to cover up that cute engine).  Thinking of colors yet?  Later, Gary

Ken Hamilton

Good eye, Gary.  Must've had a Senior Moment. It is indeed a '34

The sides will probably extend up to about the bottom of the generator, just enough
to disguise the swollen crankcase. No roof is planned as of yet, but a bracket with
an umbrella to shield the driver from the sun might be fun.

Color will probably be "Industrial Rust Under Faded Yellow"
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

Ray Dunakin

I got one of those '34 Ford truck kits from ebay. It just arrived today. I too will be using it to create a little railtruck -- but I don't know yet when I'll get started on it.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Craig_H

Ray,   If Russ would put a for sale section in this forum ::) for its members.....you could of bought it from me... as i have some doubles of some model kits i would of had listed ;D ;D           

Damn Cranky

LOL, it's official now, Hamilton.  You used the word "diorama" in conjunction with all these vehicles.  We are in for a real treat indeed!

Okay, where is that box of popcorn I was saving for a rainy day? ;D
Crazy About Rust!

Philip Smith

The straight six looks good.

A V-8 flathead would be more convincing tho..

Philip

Ken Hamilton

Philip, a V-8 would've been nice, but the 4-banger was easier to build!

Progress to date includes the first stages of paint:

Got the side panels done, too....

...and the see-thru grill:

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

TRAINS1941

Ken

Very nice indeeed.  It's going to look great with the lumbe loader, can't wait to see the diorama all together.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Looking good, Ken! I'm confused though, are you going to hide that engine with the side panels?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Damn Cranky

If I know Ken, I am going to say he is going to have the panels be removeable so that he can play with the photographs.

Ken, this shot is my fave far and I really wish I could see you paint something one day . . .

Crazy About Rust!