Westlake Publishing Forums
February 21, 2020, 03:25:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Another On30 Davenport  (Read 25993 times)
Ken Hamilton

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 10:19:34 AM »

Thanks, guys.
Rick, a flathead would certainly have been easier to wrap around the motor cover and would
provide a lower profile, but I wanted to try a 4-banger (...I like those little motors!).  However,
looking at it now, the in-line motor my indeed be sticking up too far, so I might end up
replacing what I've done with a flathead.  This is a seat-of-the-pants project that's
subject to change mid-stream and I can always use the 4-banger for something else down the road.
(....I still like the "flame & lakers" approach.....)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:28:30 AM by Ken Hamilton » Logged

Frederic Testard

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »

In any case, this engine is a beauty, Ken.

Frederic Testard
LeOn3

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2010, 02:37:59 PM »

Ken, where do you get the spark plugs? Or is it scratch built.
I am still trying to build a brookville in 1:35 and I am searching how to make an engine, instead of using the hood for hiding the motor of the model

Leon
Ken Hamilton

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »

Leon, the sparkplugs are metal castings from "R&D Unique", which unfortunately is out of business.
I believe some other model car aftermarket guys are making some, though.  I'll see what I can dig up.

After much pondering, which was stalling the project to almost a complete standstill, I decided to bite
the bullet, roll up my sleeves,knuckle down (and whatever other cliches apply) and settle on a direction...
...which is this:

I dug out a Lindeberg 1/25th scale '32 Ford pickup, cut down the grill, cut and narrowed the cowl,
cut one of the kit's bucket seats and use this as a starting point.

(Somewhat) high sides should cover what I need to cover and still give the look of an open motor. 
The '32 grill will set the timeline a little later than I would've liked, but that will also justify the
severe weathering on the Lumber Stacker that this will be sitting near on the diorama.

It's not exactly the look I was after, but it's close enough for my first Critter...and I can tell there
WILL be more!  Once the first completedmodel is under my belt I'll be less hesitant to jump in and
play harder next time!

finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »

Stand by, folks. Here he goes again! -- Russ
gnichols
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 03:58:27 AM »

Ken,
  Glad you have a direction now!  I really like the looks of it with the Lindberg parts... but I'm sure if you check the box you'll see it's a 34 Ford kit.  I know you know that, but I couldn't resist one small jab.  Any plans for stuff like... a roof?  Hood or open motor? (please no sides to cover up that cute engine).  Thinking of colors yet?  Later, Gary
Ken Hamilton

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 05:54:08 AM »

Good eye, Gary.  Must've had a Senior Moment. It is indeed a '34

The sides will probably extend up to about the bottom of the generator, just enough
to disguise the swollen crankcase. No roof is planned as of yet, but a bracket with
an umbrella to shield the driver from the sun might be fun.

Color will probably be "Industrial Rust Under Faded Yellow"

Ray Dunakin

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »

I got one of those '34 Ford truck kits from ebay. It just arrived today. I too will be using it to create a little railtruck -- but I don't know yet when I'll get started on it.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin’s World
Craig_H
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 06:50:37 PM »

Ray,   If Russ would put a for sale section in this forum Roll Eyes for its members.....you could of bought it from me... as i have some doubles of some model kits i would of had listed Grin Grin           
Damn Cranky

Virgil Suarez

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 07:43:37 AM »

LOL, it's official now, Hamilton.  You used the word "diorama" in conjunction with all these vehicles.  We are in for a real treat indeed!

Okay, where is that box of popcorn I was saving for a rainy day? Grin

Crazy About Rust!
Philip Smith
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 06:54:57 PM »

The straight six looks good.

A V-8 flathead would be more convincing tho..

Philip
Ken Hamilton

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 06:28:43 AM »

Philip, a V-8 would've been nice, but the 4-banger was easier to build!

Progress to date includes the first stages of paint:

Got the side panels done, too....

...and the see-thru grill:

TRAINS1941

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 07:38:12 AM »

Ken

Very nice indeeed.  It's going to look great with the lumbe loader, can't wait to see the diorama all together.

Jerry

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin
Chuck Doan
Mr. Wizard

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 07:48:11 AM »

Looking good, Ken! I'm confused though, are you going to hide that engine with the side panels?

“They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details.” -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/
Damn Cranky

Virgil Suarez

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 08:18:03 AM »

If I know Ken, I am going to say he is going to have the panels be removeable so that he can play with the photographs.

Ken, this shot is my fave far and I really wish I could see you paint something one day . . .

Crazy About Rust!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: