• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Disassembling a watch?

Started by Ray Dunakin, May 24, 2010, 10:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Ken mentioned using a watch gear on his lumber stacker. I have a couple old watches I've been saving as a source for gears and such, but one thing I'm not too clear on is how to get it apart without wrecking the delicate parts. (I'm not talking about opening the case, I know how to do that.) I just need some advice on how to remove the gears and other tiny bits.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

DaKra

You need a set of watchmaker's screwdrivers.  Then wherever you see a screw, just unscrew it.   Its a lot easier than reassembling a watch.    I've taken apart a lot of watches and clocks, never did get one back together.

If you need something that looks like Victorian cast iron a watch part might not cut it.   In that case, I sell an assortment of laser cut ones like these.

Dave 

lab-dad

Dave those are bitchin!
How can I get a set?
-Marty

jacq01

I follow Marty in his request.
    How can I get a set ?

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

I just use a tiny screwdriver.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Quote from: lab-dad on May 25, 2010, 06:07:00 AM
Dave those are bitchin!
How can I get a set?
-Marty

I already got a set  :P :P ;D

They are quite cool....not only for use as gears and clutter, but I also plan to try using some of them as wheel centers for things like dollys and carts. If you made (or if the mfr made) a rim to add to both sides of them, you could also create some great looking wire and chain sheaves.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

DaKra

Really didn't mean to hijack the thread, and hope this isn't too commercial a post, but in reply to the inquires, the gears/handwheels are available on my website, vectorcut.com here:   

http://www.vectorcut.com/accessories.htm

Marc, cool idea about the chain sheaves.  I'll probably draw up another set of cast iron scrap stuff, will include that with it. 

Dave   

danpickard

Dave,
Saw your new gear sets the other day and also intend on ordering some...once that Aussie dollar improves a bit again! Some very creative laser work on your behalf, so good stuff.  I particularly like the etched work you have used to get the relief into the gears.  

Cheers,
Dan

Frederic Testard

Your accessories page is beautiful, Dave. I've been spending a lot recently, but as soon as cash is flowing again, I'll have to pass an order too.
Frederic Testard

eTraxx

Ha. Same as Frederic. Payday I'm dropping an order.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

John McGuyer

Chainsaw! That will get it apart.

John

finescalerr

McGuyer -- go stand in the corner!

Dave, you can post "commercial" info like that ANYTIME! Great stuff and you apparently have found an eager market for your work.

Russ

lab-dad

neener, neener, neener
I got mine ordered last night!
Also did you guys see the nuts, bolts, washers?
I got a set of the .5 & 1mm ones.
Looking forward to trying them out.

Dave any plans to do manhole covers in O scale?
Someday I want to do a city scene along a dock.....

-Marty

DaKra

Thanks guys, I found a niche here.  :)

Marty, thanks, parcel goes out tomorrow AM.   On the O scale manhole covers, I'll probably do them and a couple of other O scale items.

Back to the subject of opening old watches, I seem to recall Timex wind up watches being riveted and the only way to get the gears out is to pry the watch movement apart with a screwdriver.   Disposables, as watches go.   

Dave