• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

P4NewStreet - modelling Birmingham (UK) in the 1980's - 1:76 scale

Started by jim s-w, May 20, 2010, 08:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

Jim,
Is it a prototype or a model - simply fantastic !!!
Frithjof

jim s-w

Quote from: finescalerr on July 26, 2014, 11:11:07 AM
I wonder how many model train guys would have the slightest clue what research and craftsmanship has gone into your layout or, for that matter, why you've approached it that way. -- Russ

There's some I think Russ. Most are just interested in the latest RTR stuff and think that spending a lot of money elevates them above others.  However I try to treat everything the same so that there's no stand out weak point, in that respect I'm aiming for most of this stuff to go unnoticed just as it does in the real world.  You could take any element and find someone who does it better but consistency is the key I think.  It's a bit like one of Chucks projects having a doe cast car dumped in front of it straight from the box.  Ok that's an extreme example but there's a lot of model railways in the uk that have that kind of inconsistency.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Quote from: eTraxx on July 26, 2014, 01:04:43 PM
I count me among that number. Just wish I had his skills. :)

Thanks but it's not really talent just a desire to learn how to do stuff.  I don't think there's anything here that is beyond anyone else, all they have to do is practice.  I started this project with an idea what I wanted to end up with not an idea of what I could achieve from my start point.  I always knew I'd have to learn new stuff.

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

artizen

You ended up with a model over 60 feet long with detail, detail, detail everywhere accurate to the time being modelled. Don't worry, we may not be able to do this because of space constraints or lack of time or skills but I for one appreciate that this model is an accurate depiction of something historical that will never be seen again. As the layout evolves, so does the greater appreciation by the viewing public just how good it is. This is on a level with Pendon for research and detail - only the subject matter changes.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jim s-w

Hi all

I've designed my first laser cut baseboards for a little side project (now called Brettell Road after a few name 'tweaks') and the other week I spent a few days over at Tims getting them cut out and assembled.

I've started a workbench section for this on my website for those who might want to follow along.

http://www.p4newstreet.com/category/brettell-road

I'll be using this as practice for some things that I will be using on New Street.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Hauk

Quote from: jim s-w on August 26, 2014, 12:38:14 AM
Hi all

I've designed my first laser cut baseboards for a little side project (now called Brettell Road after a few name 'tweaks') and the other week I spent a few days over at Tims getting them cut out and assembled.

Looks like a serious testing ground!
Does it connect with the main layout?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Design-HSB

hello, very interesting and I'm looking forward to the sequel. I would still be interested in the material from which the layout is.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hauk

Quote from: jim s-w on July 26, 2014, 02:34:37 AM
Hi all

I've painted up my mast and changed the mounting for the contact wire, here's how it looks in temporary position.

You never fail to inspire!
Keep up the good work!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

jim s-w

Thanks all

This is a side project and not related to New Street.  These boards are cut from MDF (Masonite over there?) but I have cut parts for more new street boards from ply too.  Haven't assembled those yet though.

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Hi all

I've changed the name again after a few people mentioned they thought grove was a bit out of area.

I must admit I'm a bit out of practise with this track building stuff and this took a bit longer than I thought.  Above is an overview of the trackwork so far with just some plain track still to do.

First up is a double slip that isn't!  It's actually just a normal turnout from an operational point of view with one end blocked and clamped so it doesn't move.

At the other end I've removed two of the point blades to depict that the line it leads too is out of use.

On the other board is a 3 way point.  I've always found these more tricky than double slips although they are less work.

It's the way the 3 vees have to interact that makes them tricky. I also messed up the first set of blades and got one in the wrong place so I had to do it again. It was only once I'd done it that I remembered I might have done exactly the same thing last time I did a 3 way!

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jim s-w

HI All

Made a start on laser cut walls for Brettell Road.  While these bits won't be used on New Street, the things I learn from these will be transferred over.

For more and a few thoughts on the subject see

http://www.p4newstreet.com/newish-technology-or-modelling-witchcraft.html

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright