• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Google SketchUp Thread

Started by marc_reusser, May 15, 2010, 11:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Most of my models are just for render purposes so I typically don't use more than 48 or 64.....with the caveat that it depends on the object size (the larger the circle/arc the more segments)  for 3d prolonging I may go up to around 96.....but again it depends on the size and surface area of the finished object. (One needs to remember that you are drawing at 1:1 scale..and depending on what you are modeling (size and surface) when reduced, those facets may become less than than the printer resolution.....so it may be excessive and create a larger file than necessary.

Also....I don't typically draw arced and curved items directly in sketchup...I draw them in ACAD...and import them...and will typically just use the imported breakdown (cad signed segments) (I have the curve and arc segmentscad segments in CAD set very high...in the thousands...but SU imports them at much less....probably at around 48.)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Also again....the more facets one has...if not careful, the greater the chance that you will pull off of, or connect to the wrong point when....which can cause problems in the model.  Regardless, whenever I do circular forms cylinders or such I always draw either a center line down the center of a shape/volume or on the surface....often in both x&y or even x&y&z directions....or a create/add a small line extension at that point (what I term as a locator line)....so that I can easily and accurately attach the object to to others....or easily see/determine a reference point to work from. (I leave these in my renders...as single lines don't render or 3D print

M-Works

lab-dad

Thanks Marc,
I can see how over engineering things can make the files large and cause problems.
If we could see the actual pixels then we could know exactly where the lines are.  ;)

I always use center-lines when locating components - I cant see it being done any other way.

I would still like to know why I get the lines sometimes and sometimes not.........

I think Russ' said it best;
What do you expect for free?
-Marty

eTraxx

Marty -
Whenever I am wanting to ensure I connect lines exactly I use "View --> Hidden Geometry" .. you see every node then. In fact I use that so much I have set up a hot key combination for it.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

marc_reusser

Marty, I can't explain why that happens...I get it in the pro version too...sometimes it even happens in a single "follow" extrusion path when I turn a corner. ....or it will happen when I come back and do a plain extrude from a previously stopped point. I just assume it is something in the way the program happens to process the action,...TBT...it never really bothered me, so I have never tried to track it down. Maybe someone on the SU form would know.

.....and honestly not trying to sound snotty.....but to me SU and it's visual is just a tool...a step in a process/means to an end....(that end typically being a rendering or a 3D print)....so I do not care about what it looks like visually in the model (IE lines, tabs, points, etc.....for me it is all about function,expediency and accuracy....so that I can get the required end result....and everything I do in the model is geared to that end.

M-Works

lab-dad

Another part off to shapeways. ;D

I had to redesign the tapered edges.
I could not get it to print with the nice tapering radius; as it got close to the edge it gets too thin for it to print. SW "fix" looked like boogers applied to the edge..... :(
I was able to get it to work by using an angle.

With regard to the "sides" showing(lines) I redrew it using 48 sides to the circle and the lines only show when using "show hidden geometry"
Another great tip from Ed! ;D

I must also be getting better as there were less "issues" to fix in meshlab.
HOWEVER - when I sent it through netfab it erased my star. >:( ???
So I just ran it through meshlab and it passed shapeways initial inspections fine.

FWIW the part is 7.06 x / 0.844 y / 0.378 z and in FED was $50.32

Shipping is free until 7/12/15 also.

-Marty

finescalerr

Please post a photo of the parts when they arrive, before and after you clean them up. -- Russ

Hydrostat

Quote from: lab-dad on July 08, 2015, 06:03:37 AM
I had to redesign the tapered edges.
I could not get it to print with the nice tapering radius; as it got close to the edge it gets too thin for it to print. SW "fix" looked like boogers applied to the edge..... :(
I was able to get it to work by using an angle.

Marty,

I'm afraid you won't be satisfied with the results. The problem of the blade edge remains no matter if there's a radius or an angle. This 'blade' won't come out crisp. Can you please post a picture/drawing of the original pert? Perhaps there's another solution.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

eTraxx

Marty .. spures are only really necesary for small parts. If a part is x + y + z >+ 12mm it is ok for printing.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Chuck Doan

Looks good!

I have had mixed results with floating parts. First time worked, but the second time some parts were missing, and there were more of other parts than I had sent. They stood behind it and re-printed all the parts even though I sent a model of just the missing ones. Happened twice now, so I am less inclined to send parts un-joined.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

The sprue also helps with painting.
I just need to make mine a lot smaller!
These ended up huge somehow ;)
-Mj

lab-dad

Can SU measure or tell me the angle of two intersecting lines?
If so how? Is it part of some "measuring" function?
I thought it would be easy to calculate the angle(s) of my truss' and diagonal bracing for the box car I am working on.

If not can someone tell me the angle formed at the point of a right triangle with;
6" rise at 42"
and
22" rise at 60"

-Marty

Lawton Maner

Marty:

Rise divided by run equals the tangent.  This can be done with a pencil.  Then you get out your old engineering reference book and look it up. 

billmart

Marty -

6/42 ------- 8.13 degrees
22/60 ----------------20.136 degrees

Bill Martinsen

lab-dad

Bill,
Can you show me how you got that?
I did the rise/run division and I found a chart but is one one degree intervals.
That is not a big deal but i would like to know how to do the math.

-Marty