• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

On3 Railbus

Started by james_coldicott, April 27, 2010, 07:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james_coldicott

...and finally the finished and primed frame. I have added brass step supports as I am going to add wooden footboards and hate the coarse look of the cast plastic step supports. supports are 1mm wide brass strip. Primer is two pack etching primer from Phoenix.

Will post more when a little more is done- the 9th of May is rapidly approaching!

James

Ken Hamilton

This is great fun to watch. 
Cars with flanged wheels are the bomb-diggity.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

marc_reusser

I would strip the paint. The stuff they use on diecast is so thick and horrible, it hides the detail of the casting which is often much crisper....it also tends to fillet and radius things/corners that shoudn't be, and generally aren't, on the casting underneath.

It's a PIA...but I seriously think you will be happier afterwards, and end up with a better looking model.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

james_coldicott

Marc,

you are right on both fronts... the paint did need to be stripped and it was a serious pia. I should have stripped the model down more before I started- taken all the glued in plastic parts off and done the job properly- would have saved time in the long run. In my rush to get done before Sunday I thought I'd get away with leaving the paint on. In the end I masked up the plastic parts and motor and just stripped the outside of the bus with cellulose thinners- actually the paint was not that thick- these busses have been in production a long time and I suspect the paint was just sprayed cellulose 'cos it came off ok. Took a bit of care to keep it away from the plastic and motor though.

So, some progress- paint stripped and new base coat of Humbrol Tank Grey applied from a can. Prior to that I test ran and tweaked everything so it runs really well. Ended up adding more weight so it comes in at 10oz. Done some work to the firewall/ windshield molding and it has its microscope cover glass installed, radiused all the fender edges too- they looked a bit square to me. Also while the paint hardens I've made up a base.

Remains to be seen if I can get the painting done before the weekend- Paul's cement mixer truck photo's reappeared just in time! I'm now trying to decide whether to paint it green as per the photo's or stick to my original plan for blue but using Paul's photo's as a reference.

James

james_coldicott

other side...

james_coldicott

base...

james_coldicott

next up- some painting but I have to fill those horrible gaps between the body and the rear fenders first. The roof has had a layer of tissue applied but needs some more sanding and painting. I also have the running boards to make up and will do a dash board and some work inside the cab.

James

finescalerr

Looks better already. -- Russ

james_coldicott

OK, so, some progress (of sorts) this was last nights effort- I knew a lunch hour wasn't long enough. I have to say I am VERY unhappy with these results but hopefully I can pull it back...

Salt technique over an oil paint/ Bragdon powder layer. The problems as highlighted in the photo's are

1. Rust far too orange- though my camera tends to make stuff more orange than it is to the eye.
2. Far far far too much salt- this is meant to be a running vehicle not a junkyard bus!
3. Ditto above this has just gone far into the realm of cliche.

I would have gone over this stage anyway and am happy with some elements but the plan for today is...

1. Shade the rust down. Especially the underside of the bus
2. Loose some of the rust patches higher on the body panels
3. Try not to get too depressed about it!  ;)

Any suggestions welcome, I know it's horrible so fire away! Having the Sunday deadline has made me pretty much do everything back to front on this and in my rush to get things done it is by far less 'considered' than I my usual work. Oh well.

I'll see what I can do next session.

James

james_coldicott

another...

james_coldicott

hood...

james_coldicott

opposite side...

not quite as bad but still...

Am fairly happy with the windshield which lost it's glazing to the masking but that's quick to redo.

James

Ken Hamilton

What a neat project!  Love the base, too.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

lab-dad

I am thinking to tone down the rust may be a wash of dark brown or powders.
Then misting over a lighter shade of the blue?
??? ??? ???
-Marty

Carlo

James -
Great job on the conversion and especially the finish.
However, it seems to be a little higher off the track at the back end.
it sorta "leans forward". Is that prototypical?
Carlo