• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48(On30) Brass 0-6-0

Started by lab-dad, April 25, 2010, 12:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

On to the dome!
I decided I didnt need a "jig".
I just mounted the rotary table on it's side (I have a plate to do this as I often do things with the table mounted vertically) and put the 3-jaw chuck in it.
I wasn't really sure how to make sure it was all lined up on the center line so what I did was put a .032"
music wire in the chuck and a .032 bit in the mill.
Even so I guess the cutter is slightly offset, so I had to move the table back .005"
Here we are after the tweak about half way through the cut.

lab-dad

And the final pass!
The fly cutter cuts great! I'm really glad I needed it!  ;)
I ended up moving (or removing from) the dome .025"

lab-dad

I think I did pretty damn good for a first time!
Now for those sand domes that look like turds........

RoughboyModelworks

Good job Marty. You'll find the fly-cutter a useful addition to your arsenal. Also works well for surfacing large areas.

Paul

Ken Hamilton

You guys with your machining skills make me jealous.
Great job - great project.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

finescalerr

Beautiful work. (But if you had made the domes from balsa you could have shaped the undersides with sandpaper on a dowel!) -- Russ (Heading for the corner.)

lab-dad

Hell, I shoulda' made it outta paper!
Then I coulda' made Xerox's for everyone!

I know, I know, I'm right behind you (a few steps back though!)

-Marty

Philip Smith

Good tight fit! thanks for the sbs.

Philip

lab-dad

Not a lot of progress......but some.
I wanted to have a piece on top of the steam dome for the whistle and pop off's
Having a separate piece also made it easier to drill the 3 .029" holes on the rotary table at 120 degrees to one another.
Also the "turret" I will leave brass so installation will be after paint.
The whistle & valves are just sitting in there.
FWIW the base is .025" dia. and .016" thick. It does have a .100" spigot for mounting into the dome.
I also drilled & tapped the dome 6-32 for its eventual attachment to the tank.

-Marty

finescalerr

If you keep working in brass, you will get so good that you will be like Chuck Doan with wood or Gordon Birrell with styrene or Marc with paints and scrap materials. Disgusting. -- Russ

jacq01

QuoteFWIW the base is .025" dia. and .016" thick. It does have a .100" spigot for mounting into the dome.
I also drilled & tapped the dome 6-32 for its eventual attachment to the tank.

show off  ;D ;D ;D ;D   Looks very good

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Great job MJ.  Your metal working skills are just getting better with each piece you create.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

lab-dad

Thanks guys!
Unc, just trying to find my niche
-Marty

JohnP

I like this line:

"Having a separate piece also made it easier to drill the 3 .029" holes on the rotary table at 120 degrees to one another."

This is a man who is familiar with the capabilities and benefits of the tooling. I pro'ly would have marked the hole centers by hand and used the drill press...even with the lathe tooling at hand.

Next Marty will transform Turds into Turnings.

I enjoy reading everyday shop cleverness by others. We ought to start a thread about that.

Nice work Marty!

John

John Palecki

lab-dad

Thanks John!
I think that is what I enjoy most about this forum;
how others solve "problems" and take the time to explain how they were solved.
Tools and set ups, jigs ect.

No turd turnings, although with a 7 month old Labrador Retriever I sure have plenty of material!

-Marty