• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Small section house images or ideas wanted - Gn15

Started by gnichols, April 20, 2010, 07:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnichols

Gang,
  I've decided to build a small section house / engine facility on my Gn15 test layout and need some inspirational help.  If you happen to have some photos of models, dioramas, or details (or the real thing), please post them here.  I'm looking to do something small and compressed, along the lines of the stuff I've seen in the Gazette by Gilbert Gribi - http://www.gilbert-gribi.ch/index.html and Laurie Green's "Restoration Project"  diorama - http://www.lauriegreensweb.com/Restoration/restoration.html - (but replacing his engine house with a very, very small section house.  I'm thinking back-woodsy but fairly well maintained.  I'm also thinking it would be half office / bunk area with a desk and stove for heat and cooking, and half a very small shop (perhaps a drill press, grinders and the like to fab small parts.  A few work benches, etc.  No speeder space / support.  Similar to this building, with a covered, but open area to one side to park or work on a loco.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanx, Gary

gnichols

BTT... Na da?  Nothing?  You guys out of air speed and ideas?

Any HELP greatly appreciated!  Gary

DaKra

From your description it seems you already have very definite ideas and inspiration.   The only help I can suggest is to search photos of the real world for inspiration, or start working from what you already have.    If you wish to be original and imaginative, or if you wish to be prototypical, either way, collecting photos of other people's models defeats your purpose.

Dave

gnichols

Thanx Dave...
  I just hope I'm as finely tuned-in as you think!  As for any idea "infringement," I just love to look at layouts and take notes (mental or otherwise) and / or photos of nifty details... not to eventually copy but to use as a jumping off point for other directions / ideas.  Its especially great when you have been working in a vacume a little (for me, after a year's build on a new hot rod) that these details and ideas are pretty motivational.  I save a lot of stuff from the model rr mags, too.

Last weekend I lucked into a small, el-cheapo plastic building kit (1/24 Colorado Models Cascade section house) that a buddy won as a door prize at the monthly garden railway club meeting.  After some arm twisting, he caved and gave it to me.  I've already cut the long sides down and narrowed the ends about 1/3 of the width to fit the space available.  It is just narrow enough that a bunk can be fit along the short sides.  The left side of the building will be the shop, with a box car style door and hangars on the working side, and the right half will be the bunk room / office.  The back side will probably have a little porch that overhangs a creek - probably for fishing but possibly for a one-holer.  Since the main roof will only cover about half of the adjacent track, I'll have to widen the roof there to create an open shed area completely over the siding.  That's about as far as I've gone.  If it works out, then I'll use these plastic walls as a base for the finished building.  The layout will be 30" x 60" total.  Later, Gary

eTraxx

This thread may be slightly 'stale' but I have a good source for such as section houses etc.

I love browsing Google Books. They have digitized a lot of books that are out of copyright. One of my favorites is "Buildings and Structures of American Railroads: A Reference Book for Railroad Managers, Superintendents, Master Mechanics, Engineers, Architects, and Students". Published in 1893 it is a virtual 'Bible' of Railroad buildings from that period.

Chapter II is titled "Section Tool-Houses" ..
Chapter III is titled Section Houses ..

The book covers everything from Watchman's Shanties through the two section house chapters, Dwelling houses for employees, Snow sheds, Signal Towers, Car Sheds, Ashpits, Ice Houses, Sand Houses, Oil Storage and mixing houses, Water and Coaling stations, Engine houses, Freight Houses, Platforms, sheds and shelters, Flag, Local and Terminal Depots. Most of these have plans often with a detailed description.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

gnichols

Thanx, man.  Will look into it.  Hope to make croutons out of the stale bread.  Gary