• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Yes, that old chestnut....

Started by Karl.A, April 14, 2010, 07:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl.A

Well, I've posted this on the other forums that I'm a member of so I figured I may as well post it here too, especially as it's the first thing I've finished since becoming a member here and havent posted any other work since I joined. Maybe there is atleast one guy who hasnt seen it before.

Scratch built board by board from stripwood cut from sheet stock. Everything scratched from stuff I had lying around except for the great shingles from Rich at RS Laser kits, the pidgeons are from Model Masters and the crate is  from... ??

It was the first N scale project that I've done,  which I did in an attempt to try and get myself to  concentrate more on the smaller things when I get back to O scale.

Karl.A

marc_reusser

SHEESH!....first I was going to write "neat little structure, I like the proportions and layout".....but then I came to the last photo with the razor blade in it, and was just floored!

I don't see how you can build things like that at that scale!

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

I haven't seen it until now and I thought it might be HO. It's hard to fool me. Nice work. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

I've seen it before on the other forum.  But it still amazes me that you could do such a fine job in N-Scale.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

gnichols

My, oh my.  Outstanding... Gary

Chuck Doan

I agree, i didn't see it as N scale at all until the last pic! Nice!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

JohnP

Got me too. I thought, nice structure, nice lines especially from the dock side. Then- N-scale. That is fabulous work! No real indications of it being in N...unless that's a trick razor blade like those darn 6" pennies ;D

John
John Palecki

Karl.A

Many thanks to you all for the kind comments.

No fake razor blades here John, or 6" pennies......

O Scale figure & barrel

Making N scale NBWs from scratch for the front of the wharf....

If interested you can skip through the rest of the build thread here....
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28838&whichpage=1

After joining this forum I have spent some considerable (but not enough) time admiring the work of Marc, Chuck, Jaq and of course others, the attention to detail is what struck me.
Although I know I will never be the kind of modeller who uses 15 layers/shades of paint to make something look 'rusty' I also know that it is the attention to detail that I was lacking for my own satisfaction.
So, I turned the scale rule around from the O scale end to the N scale end in an attempt to focus on the smaller things.
The main objective for me was to scratchbuild something that was good enough in N scale that it didnt scream N scale..... which I think I succeded in doing.
I'll keep reading and learning and posting....

Thanks again,
Karl.A

JohnP

I looked at your build pages. You are right about the muntins, that would have been the giveaway immediately. The scratched NBW assemblies were a little miracle in and of themselves. Very nice project.

Folks here might think to try a little small scale just for the new experiences and a different way to view things. The visual Circle of Confusion comes into play.

John
John Palecki

RoughboyModelworks

Fooled me too. At first glance I thought I was looking at a rather typical HO scale model, until that last photo with the razor blade. Really impressive work in such a small scale. Thanks for posting.

Paul

finescalerr

If you mess with N scale, or even HO, again try using Strathmore Bristol (either Plate or Vellum) for trim, muntins, mullions, and other small strips. You will find it takes paint and stain like wood but will produce much cleaner cuts and edges, similar to styrene. You can combine it with wood very convincingly. It's generally a superior material for doors and windows in scales up to O. -- Russ

jacq01

I thought at first H0 with the battens on the large size.
It is only the size of the battens that is looking out of scale.... The rest is very wel done.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Karl.A

Thanks for the tip on the Strathmore Russ, I have used card extensively on several previous O scale structures and enjoyed working with it. I will certainly get a sheet of what you mention on your advice and try it out.

Many thanks for the other kind comments.

Karl.A

JohnP

Is that Strathmore available at a big-box crafts store or is it a specialty item?
Thanks, John
John Palecki

finescalerr

Both Bristol Vellum and Plate should be available (in pads) at Michaels Craft Stores and probably others. I bought mine at Michaels. -- Russ