• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Design-HSB

I admire this overall performance of the different water wagons.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Ray Dunakin

Fantastic! Great work on that brass frame.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

Some might remember that I made a 1/12th scale Whim a couple of years ago and put a photo of it with a small log hung under it. Well I eventually had time to make another much larger log and finished it yesterday. This one sure does look like it's a lot heavier than the previous rather small log.

Small log ---------------

Decent sized "toothpick" ----------------

Hydrostat

I really love your precise and clean models, so please excuse me uttering my honest opinion about the log: It looks so unrealistic that it completely destroys the otherwise fantastic model's impression.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

I'm afraid I agree with Volker. The model is utterly superb, as are all your others. The log? Well, maybe you could go outside, find a branch with suitable bark of about the right diameter, cut off a chunk, and replace the shiny new log with it .... -- Russ

greenie

OK, needed that honest appraisal, so it looks like I need some MATT paint to kill that bit of shiny on the log, any recommendations for a really FLAT enamel that will do the job properly?

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: greenie on March 21, 2021, 02:12:26 PM
OK, needed that honest appraisal, so it looks like I need some MATT paint to kill that bit of shiny on the log, any recommendations for a really FLAT enamel that will do the job properly?

A group here has been having this debate of late.  Dullcoat is the classic, but the Army Painter and Alclad matt clear products seem to get the best reports.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Lawton Maner

I like the new log!  It gives the piece a bit of mysterious feeling.

greenie

Another Water Cart, this time it is a "Sunshine" Water Cart. Made to 1/9th scale so as can be comparable in size to the Furphy Water Carts.

Started with just a photo, as that is the only one that anybody has ever seen.

Think it might have been made specially for a show and then that one pic was taken, as NOBODY has ever seen a Water Cart like this one in the photo.
Bit different to the way a Furphy Water Cart was made, I somehow think if it was going to made as opposition to Furphy, then it would have cost a lot more to make, as the simple ideas that Furphy used were far cheaper compared to this Sunshine Water Cart.

So the one in the photo somehow might have been the one and only ever made.

Usual methods of construction use in making this model, brass for the wheel rims and spokes, wood for the shafts and cross-members and aluminium for the tank.

The end caps were made from 3mm sheet red acrylic, by another gentleman by the name of Ian Stewart-Koster, he used a laser to burn out the shallow yellow bits, this left the red highlights, then he used a heat gun to soften the acrylic end caps and pushed the domed shape into them whilst they were hot.

I had to splash a lot of yellow paint onto each end cap, then scraped the yellow paint from the red highlights, even had to paint the inside rear of each end cap white, to make the red acrylic colour stand out.

Ray Dunakin

That's beautiful! Great model, and I love the colors.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Looks like a relatively easy model given your skills and yet another superb beauty. -- Russ

greenie

Just used the standard colours that Sunshine Harvester Works used on all their machinery, predominantly red and yellow.

https://rustys.net.au/products/sunshine-harvester-works-ken-arnold

Bill Gill

Greenie, another great looking cart. You have presented it very appropriately for a one-of-a-kind prototype show piece. Like the colors.

Barney

SUPERB WORKMANSHIP - perfect replica of reality
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

greenie

Here's the next one, it's a a Bullock Dray, made to 1/12th scale once again.

Saw the full sized vehicle in the Cobb & Co Museum at Toowoomba and used the full sized vehicle for reference to make this model.
Took lots of photos and lots of measurements, then drew it to 1/12th scale and made the model direct from the drawings.

Used all the usual methods for the construction of the model,  and the full sized vehicle is of a very simple construction, as are most bullock Drays.

OK, the model is cleaner than the original, but it aint anywhere near as old, eh. :-)

First photo is of the original at Toowoomba, followed by photo's of the model.