• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenie

When filling a bucket, it can get very heavy for a wee child or woman to hang onto, so you just drop the bucket handle over that little horn and when the bucket is full, turn of the tap and pick up the full bucket. It saves splashing any water around and wasting any, it's a rather simple idea that works extremely well. :-)

greenie

For those that have never heard of the word Furphy, here's a tad of reading --------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furphy

Now that little story even contains one or two whopping big 'Furphy's'.

"Many Furphy water carts were used to take water to Australian Army personnel during World War I in Australia, Europe and the Middle East.[1] "

Whoever wrote that sentence above, did not even bother to find out if that sentence above is TRUE, or just a Furphy ( commonly referred to as B/S  )

Not ONE original Furphy Water Cart, ever went overseas with the Australian troops in World War 1.
They were used in the Army staging camps in Melbourne and Sydney whilst the troops were waiting to be sent overseas, so when a bunch of very bored soldiers were gathered around the Water Carts, many B/S stories eventuated.

Spread by the soldiers who supposedly "were in the know".

"  In his book Memories of a Signaller, Harold Hinckfuss "

Appears he's even telling Furphy's, eh, remember that not ONE Furphy Water Cart ever left Australia's shores, for the European or Egyptian theaters of war.

The water carts that went overseas were made by two other companies, they used a similar sized water tank as a Furphy, but they were NOT Furphy Water Carts.
Furphy of Shepperton, Victoria were only a small company and were not geared up enough at the outbreak of the First World War and were UNABLE to fill the required order in time, that is why the order for Water Carts went to the other two companies.

So that is how the word 'Furphy' became an everyday word for Australians, it's a polite way of saying ---- "your telling Bull$hit".

By using the words --- ' that's got to be a Furphy', ---- it saved your teeth from getting a sever battering from some D/H, who has taken offense with you, if you used the words B/S directly to his face.

Just another weird bit of trivia, that some will see the humour and others wont.  :-)

Design-HSB

sometimes the desire is the father of thought. Thank you for the story.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bill Gill

Greenie another interesting cart, well done.

Ray, Just guessing...might the horn be to hang a bucket while it's being filled?

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: greenie on August 10, 2020, 10:59:22 PM
When filling a bucket, it can get very heavy for a wee child or woman to hang onto, so you just drop the bucket handle over that little horn and when the bucket is full, turn of the tap and pick up the full bucket. It saves splashing any water around and wasting any, it's a rather simple idea that works extremely well. :-)

Ah, I see! Thanks.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

5thwheel

Just finished the Chinese/ Mongolian two wheel cart. It is my first project since getting tremors in my hands and loosing much of the feeling in my finger tips. The scale is 1/12 th.  I used photos and drawings of an original furnished by Brian Simpson in UK.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

5thwheel

Another view.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

5thwheel

And again.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Hydrostat

Bill,
that came out great - what an interesting and quite unusual prototype! Which scale is it?

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

The problems in your hands do not show up on the model. Most satisfactory. -- Russ

5thwheel

Volker, it is in 1/12th scale.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

5thwheel

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Ray Dunakin

Stunning! You've done an excellent job on an interesting and unusual wagon.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your hands.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

Pssst  Ray, -----------  a C-A-R-T has only 2 wheels ---------------- a Waggon has 4 wheels,  -----  so the dictionary tells me.  ;D  ::)

greenie

Good one Bill, looks quite OK to me.  :o :o :o