• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thwheel

Nice project but why not start from scratch? The two wagons do not have the same undercarriages. The popcorn wagon has a typical light wagon heavy carriage type from hounds where as the bakery wagon has a heavy platform type front hounds.  It would be a shame to destroy the popcorn. What scale is the popcorn wagon? Did you build it? Was it a kit or from scratch?

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Bill Gill

5thwheel, The popcorn wagon is a Jordon HO styrene kit that the club gave me as a possible starting point for making a Freihofer wagon.
The idea was to use most of the popcorn wagon wheels and shafts and any other parts I could as is and to use the popcorn body sides as templates for the general overall size of the Freihofer wagon. The scratchbuilt body would be made to look like the Freihofer wagon and fit the popcorn frame(?). Part of the reason I haven't started this is because the front wheels on the popcorn wagon look too small for modeling the bread wagon. I know VERY little about wagons and I don't think I'm ready to tackle HO wagon wheels.

I also once knew where there was a Freihofer wagon on display and hoped to get photos ad measurements, but it has since been moved and I haven't gotten a reply from the company that bought Freihofer some years ago telling me where the surviving/restored wagon(s) are now.

I remember there were still horsedrawn Freihofer wagons when I was a little kid and the horse pulling the one in the neighborhood I was in would slowly walk from one end of the street to the other, then patiently wait for the driver to finish his door-to-door deliveries. Some of the wagons had pneumatic tires by then. There were still wagons in Troy, NY (where the NEB&W is) and I thought having at least one wagon and driver making deliveries in Troy on the layout would help emphasize the time period.

Ray Dunakin

Holy cow! Once again I am totally in awe of your work! The brass work alone is marvelous, and the completed wagon is a masterpiece!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

speechless again - absolutely stunning
Barney

greenie

Here's the latest one, just finished it.

This is a 1/12th scale Pole Sulky, done from the drawings of J.E.Bishop and printed in "The Australasian Coachbuilder and Wheelwright, Jan 1902.
The Sulky can be used with the pole and two horses, or, remove the pole and add two shafts for a single horse.
The seat moves to the rear and forward, to be able to balance the vehicle, so not too much weight is on the pole or shafts.

Totally scratchbuilt once again, using the different methods as previously described for the other models.

Bill Gill

Whoa, that is another excellent model.

finescalerr

Ho-hum, another superb and perfect model. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Magnificent!! You could show these photos to anyone and they'd think it was a full-sized, restored original from a museum.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

5thwheel

Check this out, has dimensions etc. From American Horse Drawn Vehicles by Rittenhouse.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

greenie

G'day Bill, the full working drawing for that vehicle from Rittenhouse, is published in "Hitch Wagons for City Driving", by the Carriage Museum of America, ISBN-1-880499-13-4.

The particular drawing is on page 347, called 'Improved Construction of a Low-Down Wagon'.

Lawton Maner

You can buy the book and get the "low down" on the wagon before building one.

finescalerr

Lawton, go stand in the corner. -- ssuR

greenie

And another done —

This is an English Darby Cart done to 1/12th scale once again, made from the drawings of J.E.Bishop and printed in The Australasian Coachbuilder and Wheelwright, Dec 1907. It's only a Pony sized vehicle, used mainly for going into town to do a bit of shopping, so it's a bit smaller than some of the other models I've made.

Usual methods of construction as what's been described before, tried to do some 'Regency Stripes' and it worked out rather well. It's just a big decal, printed on the Alps MD 5500 and cut and pasted to each side.   

Being confined to the shed is working out OK for the time being, not getting interrupted by daughters asking for Dad's help, so long as I don't get this dreaded virus, it's gunna work just fine being banished out into the shed. :-)

Carlo

I'd love to see how you make those beautiful wheels.
Carlo