• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenie

Try again

greenie

And some more

greenie

Here's the last lot.

finescalerr

Zowie carumba!! That is extremely adequate! -- Russ

Design-HSB

Quote from: greenie on October 03, 2018, 04:55:42 AM
Here's another one, it's a 1/12th scale Cart. I found a photo on the web and reckoned it looked alright, so made a few more inquiries and thought, yep, I can do that.

Had to get a bit of help as per dimensions of the vehicle as only that photo to work from, started to draw it on the computer, quite a few adjustments later it was ready.
Into it and this appeared on me bench.

Usual/normal construction methods used, same as for the decals, paint job and anything else that I can't think of now.

First photo is what I found on the web and then different photos of the model.

Any questions, please ask, if no questions, then please enjoy the viewing.  

I confess myself as an admirer of your masterpieces.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Ray Dunakin

Absolutely flawless, as usual! And a very interesting prototype as well. I wonder if those were meat pies, served hot?

Now I'm getting hungry!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

Just 'cause I can annoy everybody, here's a tad more information about this little Cart. ---------

There were only two of these Pie Carts ever built, looks like whoever built them has used the old front end's from carriage's that were tossed away. The wheels, axle and springs used look suspiciously like they came from very fine carriages. The new fangled motor vehicle was starting to gain popularity about now, so the old horse drawn drawn stuff was just getting tossed away as nobody wanted it. These two carts were made and used in and around Toowoomba, Qld, they were made roughly from the middle of the 1930's, and used right thru to the early 1950's. I found a photo on the web and became intrigued with it because of it's unusual design, I found out a bit more about them from the Toowoomba Chronicle( Toowoomba newspaper ) and even managed to track down a daughter of one of the drivers of these vehicles, a Gloria Ciesiolka, daughter of one of the two driver's, a Mr Bill Stuart he drove one for many years, she gave me quite a bit of information about the everyday operations of these carts. They were just a backyard operation run from a house on James St, Toowoomba, Qld, they made and baked the pies on the premises out the back in the shed and then loaded them onto these vehicles and sold them all around town. Think of the old pub closing times here in Australia of 6.00PM or 1800hrs, the whole country was kind of into the dark ages about the effects of booze, then hang around for the pictures to shut, after that head for home as nobody was out and about.
I had to make my own drawing for this cart, before I could start to make the model.
Took the finished model out to Oakey, Qld to let Mrs G. Ciesiolka have a look at it, told her I would let her know when it was finished, because of the info she supplied me, took along that colored photo was well. Showed her the colour photo and she said, - "where did you get that photo", I replied -  "off the web, why?". Could have knocked me down with her answer, "it's my brother Billy who got killed in the 2nd world war". Turns out not only Dad sold pies, her elder brother did for a short while as well.
So a bit more history for the cupboard, eh -----------------------

finescalerr

Did the model itself mean nothing to her? -- Russ

Design-HSB

Russ, That's What I asked myself about such a grandiose model.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

greenie

Well, she wanted it come hell or high water, but she is at least nearly 90, so I figured her daughter would wind up with it very soon and the daughter was just ho-hum about it. Suppose if the daughter got it, it would soon be in the bin, got that sort of feeling from the daughter.

Needless to say I allowed heaps of photo's to be taken, but the model is in my cupboard.

finescalerr

Maybe she'd settle for the photos. You should make up an excuse for why you really must keep the model for a while longer, perhaps for an upcoming show or interest from a fictitious museum. The daughter is probably armed with sledgehammers. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Fascinating history. It's amazing that you could find someone with a personal connection to the carts, considering only two were ever made.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

The only reason that I managed to find anybody who had anything to do with these carts, was that newspaper clipping from 1994.
Without that information to start with, I wouldn't have got anything at all.
Had a name and just went looking in the phone book and just stumbled across the story with the Carts.

greenie

I tried 5 times yesterday to up load these photo's, it told me the photo's were too big each time, even though I had reduced them to thumbnails. Bloody well gave up and stuck them into a photo hosting site, let's see if it works this time, eh.

This one is a Market Gardeners Trolley, or Adelaide Trolley (or Lorry) in 1/12th scale, made from the drawings published by J.E.Bishop & Son in The Australian Coachbuilder and Saddler, July 1896. Used a Lorry that's in the museum at Millicent, as a reference for the painting and scrolling.

https://photoland.io/a/3koU