• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenie

Thank you Russ for your kind words.

As for the finish on the timber, well you have to start with a decent timber, or, you'll get a crap finish if you use crap timber.

I use Tasmanian Myrtle ( http://www.wood-database.com/tasmanian-myrtle/ ) which is an excellent timber to use because there is virtually NO pore holes showing, then I use a Thickness Sander that I made, to reduce it to the thickness that I require. This does leave an excellent smooth finish on any pieces that have been thru the sander. The sander can sand a bit of timber down to 0.010" thous and you can actually see thru the timber, when you hold it up to the light.
Once it has been fully assembled in the raw, I then break it down, to each individual colour I require.
The ONLY primer/undercoat I use is ---- Testors SAND FS33531 - Flat Enamel Paint, it does cost a bit, but it's the only stuff I've come across that sticks like 'shit to a blanket' and is the most NEUTRAL colour in the universe. I avoid using grey, like I would avoid the plague, as it's made from the two most violent colours in the colour spectrum, black and white. It takes a couple of colour coats just to try and hide this 'snot' grey colour which then fills in any detail you want to stand out.
Once it's dried, I then just scrub the surface with a clean dry old toothbrush, this removes any bits of fluff/dust that might have stuck to the wet paint. Any bigger bits get flicked of with a fingernail.
The finished coat is just very ordinary enamel house paint, you can buy this stuff for a fraction of the cost of hobby paints, they will even mix the right colour for you as well.

As you can see, nothing special in the painting process at all.

regards  greenie

Hydrostat

Maybe I missed something (the model is exquisite, btw): How do you apply the coat and color? By air brush? I hope so ... :o

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Ray Dunakin

Another masterpiece! Simply stunning work!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

Hi Volker, just use an el-cheapo air brush, nothing special at all.

regards  greenie

greenie

All finished with the lamps being added, and then tucked away in the cupboard.

regards  greenie

Bill Gill

I missed this one, when you first posted your latest in your series of fantastic models. Well done!

Ray Dunakin

Your work is truly deserving of the phrase "museum quality".

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

Much appreciated gentlemen for the ' kudos '.

Not quite museum quality, still got quite a distance to go before that happens.  ::)

regards  greenie

greenie

Another one for the cupboard, this time it's a Country Storekeepers Waggon, made in 1/12th scale again. Drawings were printed in the Coachbuilders and Wheelwright on July 15 1908.

Here's what got me interested in making it, just a picture on the back cover of a book called Tom Downers Legacy.

Ray Dunakin

Absolutely drop-dead gorgeous!  Your work perfectly reproduces the superb craftsmanship and artistry of the prototypes, and does it in a much smaller size to boot!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

You know, if you keep practicing, one of these days you'll probably build a pretty good model. Incidentally, your wagon looks better and has nicer graphics than the picture that inspired it. -- Russ

greenie

Thank you Ray and Russ, it is much appreciated with those kind words. :-)

regards  greenie

Carlo

Great model!
Are those wheel rims CNC cut plexi?
I'd love to see how you made the wheels.
Carlo

Bill Gill

Another terrific wagon, and the wheel construction does look interesting.

Hauk

Really nice work!
Is the lining decals or hand painted?
Not that it really matters, it looks very good regardless of the technique used.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past