• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Just could not believe it is a model but the ruler gave it away - lovely stuff in fact excellent
Barney

Bill Gill

So that's what those two cutouts on the tailgate were originally for! I was half wondering if the cart carried live chickens, the customer held her egg basket next to the cutout of her choice (brown eggs or white eggs?) and waited for very fresh eggs :)

More seriously, would a milk cart and an egg cart be considered types of "dog carts"?

greenie

Hi Bill, as a general rule of thumb, - a Cart - is meant to be any horse drawn two wheeled vehicle, a Lorry,Trolley or Waggon is a four wheeled horse drawn vehicle, so, a "Dog Cart", is just another type of cart.

A Dog Cart is so named, because it's used for carrying dogs around, in under the seat.
It gets a bit confusing about now, because sometimes a "four wheeled vehicle" is even called a Dog Cart as well, it's a bigger version and carries a lot more dogs, hence the four wheels, as well as persons/shooters/hunters on the seats, got me beat why a four wheeled vehicle is 'still' called a Cart though.
This is actually the only "anomaly" regarding the naming of horse drawn vehicles, that I can think of right now.

There is a plethora of different types of horse drawn vehicles and all were mainly used for specific purposes, sometimes one type of vehicle could be used for a few different purposes, but a lot were built for the one type of job at hand.

regards  greenie

ps - for further research, please have a look at this link and it will all be explained.

https://regencyredingote.wordpress.com/2009/06/05/the-regency-sport-utility-vehicle/

greenie

Here's something that's a 'wee' bit different (pardon the pun), a Sanitary Waggon made to 1/12th scale. I don't think that there would have been too many models ever made, of the old "dunny cart" eh.
Used the drawings of J.E.Bishop once again, printed in the Coachbuilder & Wheelwright, May 15, 1917.
Don't know why it's called a Waggon, when it's really just a Lorry with a box on top.
Then again the name "dunny cart", is surely a bit of a 'misnomer' as well.

--------------------------- Oh, NO smell or flies with this one -----  ;D ::)

regards    greenie

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful rendition of an unusual, utilitarian subject!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Your models are incredibly satisfactory. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Amazing how much effort they put into decorating what is often called a "honey bucket" on this side of the pond. Another terrific model!

mabloodhound

The "honey wagons" here had provisions for loading long slide in trays that had been slid under the outhouse rather than buckets.
Not a pleasant job
And no wagon here was anywhere near that fancy.
Excellent work.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

greenie

———And NO waggon here was anywhere near that fancy ———

Well,  ---  actually that is a very basic single colour scheme used on that 'dunny cart', it would have been about the bare minimum applied to a vehicle, before it would have been allowed to leave the manufacturing premises.

Most people do not realise, that these old vehicles were a riot of colour, as it was the manufactures method of advertising their wares, the better looking/flasher a vehicle was, the easier it was noticed and the more business it generated, simple, eh.

The painting of the vehicles also protected the bare timber from the ravages of time,  now-day's most of these vehicles have been neglected for many decades and just parked out under a tree somewhere. The paint has deteriorated over time and flaked/fallen of the timber, so they are just bare timber now and a lot of people think that is how they were sold.

What they originally would have looked like, ------------- well that's now a long lost faded memory.

Even a simple Farm Waggon, had quite a bit of 'flash' added to it to make it stand out.

Here's a few sites for perusal, they have some of these old vehicles as they were originally painted.
Please note the two tone paint schemes used and all the pin striping and fancy scroll work that was added to even a simple hard working farm waggon.

http://www.hansenwheel.com/custom-showcase/custom-vehicle-showcase/farm-wagon/

http://www.oxbowwagonsandcoaches.com/horse-drawn-antiques-restorations.html

regards   greenie

greenie

Time to give this lot a kick in the pants once again.

Saw this in a book and thought, yep, I got the drawing for that, so it's time to get busy once again.

It's a Sydney Meat Waggon and this design kind of replaced all others, it has the carcasses hanging from overhead hooks, just like modern trucks do today.
Previous to this design, they just laid the carcasses on the floor and stacked them like logs, one on top of the other, so this new design was a bit more hygienic and plenty of these were made and used.
Had the actual drawings from J.E.Bishop once again, these were printed in the Coachbuilder and Wheelwright, July 1902, so just worked direct from the drawing.

Had a bit of luck and managed to get a coloured photo taken way back in the 1960's, of one of these waggons that had been repainted to be used in the Sydney Royal Show back then. The bloke in white coveralls is the son of the fella that started a signwriting business in Sydney in the 1910's, or there-a-bouts and he painted the vehicle using virtually the same colour scheme, as what was used on the vehicle originally . His son is in the photo on the right hand side, this fella is now in his late 80's and still kickin', only he's got Parkinsons today.

Started on it and once again, forgot to take any progress shot's, sorry, only got this one shot of it before painting.

Started painting it and doing the decals in home using CorelDraw and the ALPS MD5500 printer.

The rear doors I cheated with the reddish colour, I splashed some paint onto a decal sheet, then just cut out the squares and stuck them onto the doors, used another decal over the colour patch, bingo, saved a headache trying to mask of the doors.

The name plate that goes down each side of the Waggon, that decal was about 6 inches long and an inch wide, bit of a bug bear to get it into the correct position and stay there as it was being stuck down.

Splashed around a bit of colour and added a few decals onto the turntable ( 5th Wheel )

What the finished product looks like ------------ only got the two lamps to finish and it will then be complete.

Any questions or queries, you know what to do, enjoy -----

regards  greenie  

NORCALLOGGER

Peter_T1958

What a wonderful hobby where you can create and present such eye-pleasing results!
I am sure my wife would carry me on her shoulders through the house if I could show her such a pieces of art ... ;)

Congrats,
Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

Yet another humiliating model. You are absolutely incorrigible.

That aside, I may be even more impressed by the finish you applied now that I've seen the raw wood you start with. I would assume you began with some kind of sealer to achieve that glass smooth finish prior to applying paint. I won't even begin to comment on the perfection of the pin striping and graphics.

Now, if everyone will excuse me, I must hit my head against the wall for a while.

Russ

Carlo

Incredibly great! What a beautiful model.
Could you suggest a tutorial for building wooden wagon wheels?
Perhaps one that doesn't require fancy power tools.
Carlo

greenie

Carlo, have a look here, there's quite a bit of information that you might find usefull.

http://www.scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk/(Tips%20&%20Ideas).htm

regards  greenie