• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Taco

Started by marc_reusser, February 06, 2010, 03:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Oh man, Dan.....that's just cold!  ;) ;D (True...but Cold ;) ;D)

Ice, Water & Snow Contest:
Deadline is end of April. All subject matter is welcome (armor, cars, planes, ships, sci-fi, trains...whatever)
You have to do an SBS.
First place is 200 Euros worth of your choice of MIG products.
Moderator is Per Olav Lund.

Almost done with the main body (working on stowage basket and some small details).....sort of procrastinating doing all the Sculpey weld seams, and making the tarp.  The legs will take a bit...just very labor intensive, and then I need to cast some of the parts in resin. Last thing will be the gun....deciding between 20mm cannon or XM mini-gun....leaning towards the XM.

Have in the meantime made some rock castings out of hydrocal, to experiment with some painting techniques for the base.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

danpickard

Marc,
It does sound like a good challenge.  Can't cheat on the weld seems and use the Archer decals can you?  Mini-gun for sure...more barrels always looks more painful!  I look forward to the progress. 

If time gets pressed, could you change subjects and bury that "sands of time" (MAK suit was it?) dude that was dead in the desert (project from a while back that might have stalled because of lack of a skeleton was it?), up to his neck in snow instead?

Cheers,
Dan

Marc988

Hi Marc,

interesting ! I sure am curious to see some SBS pics on the base and aspecially the way you are gooing to tackle the snow and ice theme.

Cheers,
Marc B

lab-dad

Hey Marc Can I play in the snow too!?!?
I threw this together (obviously) from used office supplies.
The only non office supply is the sprinkler head (from Unc's comment)
The right hand started as a clip-on pen and i thought "that would make a cool...."
I wish I had more time/desire to mess with this but thought it would be fun!
Back to the trains......

jacq01

Marty,

don't make it too difficult for him......... ;) ;D ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

MARTY!...thats GREAT!....I know you're tryin to be wise-ass....but I think you should  continue with it and finish it. :)

Since you guys are insisting on giving me a hard time......here is an update.

Some more work done on the leg design:

And the main body as it stands.....pretty much finished at this point except for a number of weld fillets/seams and some wiring. The tarp is made from Magic Sculpt...the figure (my first ever) is still in progress, it has been assembled from hacked up parts from various Dragon Models figure sets.

The stowage bin was made by heat forming a piece of .001" sheet styrene, over a milled form, then attachning a CAD drawing of the hole pattern over the formed sheet, and clamping the whole thing (form & sheet) into a drill-press with an x/y table attached.

After the holes were drilled the bin was cut from the sheet, and the CAD drawing/paper removed.

Marc

M-Works

lab-dad

Thanks Marc, yes I was being a smart ass!

Yours is looking cool! I have to comment; the stowage bin looks like a K-Mart shopping cart.
I think you can come up with something more industrial/military.
Cant wait to see it in paint!
-Marty

Ray Dunakin

Very cool! But what does TACO stand for? I've tried looking it up on google, no luck. Wikipedia has nine different meanings for it, but none fit what you're building.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Ray,

The full name is "TACO-34 Beetle", it's from the Japanese model series Junk Tank Rock.

Marc

M-Works

Philip Smith

Marc,
I like the taco.
How does magic sculpt compared to milliput when making canvas? Same stuff? 

thanks, Philip   

marc_reusser

Thanks Guys.

Philip: I have not tried the Miliput, though I have the "fine grain white" coming in a current supplies order, so I will be able to compare them. My Magic Sculp is a bit on the old/hard side, but I was able to pretty much roll it out to a very thin smooth sheet (thin enough that it was translucent)....but I had to use a LOT of talcum powder to keep it from sticking to the marble rolling surface and the delrin rod.

Marty: Yes, the basket is a bit small....and thanks to you I keep seeing as a little red basket now  :( :-X ;).....but because of the shape and size of the body there really is not a lot of room for anything larger....the basket was really only intended to hold 4 ammo boxes...or ammo & tool boxes...as they would be the bulky and unwieldy items on such a "vehicle"...all the rest (food and water) would be internally stored...water in built-in bladders, food as gel packs, bars, or MRE's. I do have a spare water container that will hang from one of the lift rings.  Fuel is Unobtanium...which would be replaced rarely and only during service.

Marc

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 17, 2010, 01:10:39 PM
Fuel is Unobtanium...which would be replaced rarely and only during service.
Marc
Unobtanium  ??? ???  I'm going to have to look that one up in my Materials Annotonium...

Paul

Philip Smith

Thanks Guys.

Philip: I have not tried the Miliput, though I have the "fine grain white" coming in a current supplies order, so I will be able to compare them. My Magic Sculp is a bit on the old/hard side, but I was able to pretty much roll it out to a very thin smooth sheet (thin enough that it was translucent)....but I had to use a LOT of talcum powder to keep it from sticking to the marble rolling surface and the delrin rod.
Marc

From bits pieces and clutter....Thought this might be of interest......while waiting for some stuff to dry, I decided to play around with some Milliput and try to make some draped fabric (rags, tarp).....now figure guys have been doing this forever...but this is my first time...thought I better get some practice since I will likely be needing some amongst and over the clutter.

Basically they are made of two compund Milliput rolled out on a glass plate. To keep it from sticking to the glass or the steel rod (roller), I used talcum powder.

Was this photo magic sculpt?  I guess you mistakenly labels the caption milliput. I was wondering because I'm having lousy luck thinning milliput fine white.  thanks, Philip     

marc_reusser

Philip,

Ahh...crap...was some kind of a mental fart...sorry.....that was Magic Sculp.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Quote from: Roughboy on February 17, 2010, 02:40:48 PM
Fuel is Unobtanium...which would be replaced rarely and only during service.
Marc
Unobtanium  ??? ???  I'm going to have to look that one up in my Materials Annotonium...

Paul

Yep....we used Unobtainium a lot in our designs, during my product and automotive design school days. ;D

MR

M-Works