• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Beehive Brick Kiln

Started by marklayton, January 24, 2010, 07:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Mark ,

I used a tacky glue to stick my bricks . Once the mortar is in place , nothing will move . It is stronger than the real thing . I just used casting plaster for the mortar .

What are you going to do with the other 34,800 bricks ? I guess you are going to need piles of fired bricks surrounding the kiln , and loads of unfired ones in the drying sheds . You are going to model some open sheds filled with bricks,  aren't you ?

There is a chap on one of the German forums , Buntbahn I think , who has been building a large brick structure in 1/24th scale who uses some sort of drill press to cut his bricks . If you are a member of the Yahoo FS32NG Forum there was a link to the relevant webpage a couple of days ago .

Nick

gin sot

Impressive project!

I will be following this with interest since I have had the urge to build a turpentine still for some time now.  These stills were built on top of a round brick firebox quite similar to a small brick kiln.  I've been wondering how best to model a round brick form, since I want to use my model as a master for castings.  I've tried a cardboard tube form wrapped with brick sheet, didn't like.  Thought about using individual styrene bricks, but in HO that's a little insane even for me.  Carved plaster seems like the least bad option right now.

Gordon Ferguson

Mark as the others have said I admire your dedication , and courage to go this route

Quote from: gin sot on January 26, 2010, 11:04:30 AM
Carved plaster seems like the least bad option right now.

I've never really got on with carving plaster, the master for these 3 were done in plaster and it was a real so & so !!
Lime kilns in 16mm

Gordon
Gordon

John McGuyer

Is your middle name 'masochist'?

John

Belg

Mark, thanks for the info. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that you started at the top, if you are going to totally enclose it anyway why not start at the bottom and if need be trim a small bit of the tube if it is visible? I think if you started at the bottom your 60 minute epoxy would have time to cure and not have to risk moving anything around it. Look forward to the pics maybe that will give me a better grip on it. Pat

artizen

It's been a couple of months since the last post. I would love to know how this is progressing. Do I see a job-lot of spare bricks coming up on ebay soon?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

eTraxx

Have no idea where this project went but this seems a good place to post the following link. I was 'out and about' in Cayce, SC Saturday (across the river from Columbia, SC) and stopped to take photos of Brick Kilns here. Look very much the same as the ones posted here.

Guignard Brick Kilns

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Ken Hamilton

Last time I saw Mark he was wiggling his index finger up and down between his lips,
making a noise that sounded like: "...blurba-blurba-blurba-blurba...."

(I'd like to get an updatae on this project, too.......)
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

chester

Me too and for the reason Gin Sot gave. I too am wanting to do a turp still diorama in 1/87. The brick has me a little scared but it's the hundreds of barrels that have me really spooked.

Lawton Maner

Mark

I presume your roommate at St. Elizabeth's is Mark Hinkley?  :)

David Emery

Quote from: eTraxx on September 28, 2010, 09:54:56 AM
Have no idea where this project went but this seems a good place to post the following link. I was 'out and about' in Cayce, SC Saturday (across the river from Columbia, SC) and stopped to take photos of Brick Kilns here. Look very much the same as the ones posted here.

Guignard Brick Kilns

Thanks for the link to your photos.  I've been working on a pair of HO scale (pre-cast) brick kilns, so these are a big help getting the colors right. 

dave

shropshire lad

Anyone know the state of play with this project ? The possibility exists that I might have a go at building one of these in 1/35th scale and I would like to see how it is done ,

Nick

fspg2

Nick wrote:
There is a chap on one of the German forums , Buntbahn I think , who has been building a large brick structure in 1/24th scale who uses some sort of drill press to cut his bricks . If you are a member of the Yahoo FS32NG Forum there was a link to the relevant webpage a couple of days ago .

Long time ago I tried to break the stones of Mr. Schmid in this way: Buntbahn ... and here google translated.
Frithjof